1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fluids

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 02:12 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Fluids

Today I Was Reminded that anti freeze doesn't taste very good, even after it's been splattered off the concrete into your mouth as you're working.

Yuck.

(Harmonic balancer, front seal, rack, replacing a bad horn, and a laundry list of other items on the Dakota before it gets too cold.)

RwP

Old 11-20-2016, 07:42 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes, and they say its not to healthy to be drinking it!!

Old 11-20-2016, 10:00 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

That's definitely not what the doc meant when he said to stay hydrated.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:20 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Louisiana, and you're talking about cold?

Just put fender flares, mud flaps, and my winter tires/wheels on my Dak. Vehicle work never stops except for the hardest of snow storms.

Agree, antifreeze is terrible. PSA, pets like it because it's sweet. My dog drank some. I knew it was poisonous to dogs so I didn't wait for symptoms...I immediately brought her to the vet and I paid $2000 to get her right...mind you, I don't think she got more than a couple laps of the **** before I caught her but it doesn't take that much to kill a dog, so I told the vet to do whatever they thought they should do. Tests afterwards indicated zero impact on kidney function which surprised the vet, so maybe she really didn't drink much at all. But obviously that's not a vet visit I'll ever second guess. That's the last time I do a dumb**** thing like leave a drain pan unattended while distracted on something else. I leave the animals inside unless I can immediately transfer the fluid to a sealed container. Additionally, propylene glycol is a "safe" alternative to Ethylene glycol, which is what most antifreezes are made of.

Last edited by tbugden; 11-22-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:28 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Good note, today's anti freeze usually isn't sweet testing to the pets; you can't hardly find Ethylene glycol anymore (check carefully when you look at Prestone "green"; it's no longer EG.)

RwP

Old 11-23-2016, 03:36 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Good note, today's anti freeze usually isn't sweet testing to the pets; you can't hardly find Ethylene glycol anymore (check carefully when you look at Prestone "green"; it's no longer EG.)

RwP
Interesting, that's good to know. The stuff my dog drank (2 years ago now roughly) was definitely ethylene glycol, I checked the container hoping that it wasn't.