1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 dodve dakota v8 le

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 04:46 PM
fnawesome
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 dodve dakota v8 le

For starters, Hello everybody, Im new and this is my first post.

So I got this 93 dodge dakota v8 automatic, about a month ago.a little info abou it that I know.
Miles:158000
When i bought it I:
Did an oil change
Rad. Flush
Changed both coolent temp switches (i forget the specific names but one sends info to gauge and the other controls it, if i remember correctly)
Changed rad. Cap
Flushed heater core
Replaced top coolent hose.

So about a week ago it started acting up. For some reason the power windows stopped working and when i press them the abs and parking brake light both come on until released. Not only that but when I put it in reverse they also come on until I switch to a different gear. They also come on when I turn on the fan for the heater/a.c.

Currently I've checked all the fuses and none of them seem to have been blown. Im pretty stumped and any thoughts or ideas as to whats going on would be appricated.

Note: known issues I'm currently aware of:
Needs new heater core ( current one is leaking)
Fuel gauge isn't working
I've got a check engine light that comes on sporadically i've done the turn key to pull codes things and these are the codes I have:

I dont know that any of these codes are relevent but I could be wrong.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:58 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Hi, Welcome.
The FAQ page has a lot of info inclduing about the codes. 12 means the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts. 55 means the codes are over. 22-engine coolant sensor, 32- EGR open circuit or vac leak. 52-A rich air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally lean correction factor.
The electrical issue sounds like a PIA. Check all the grounds make sure of good contact. IDK what else. Someone will though lots of good guys on here.

I do not like the new setup. Sorry I know its a pain to set these things up and run them. Still like the site

Old 04-27-2017, 07:02 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
Hi, Welcome.
The FAQ page has a lot of info inclduing about the codes. 12 means the battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts. 55 means the codes are over. 22-engine coolant sensor, 32- EGR open circuit or vac leak. 52-A rich air/fuel mixture has been indicated by an abnormally lean correction factor.
The electrical issue sounds like a PIA. Check all the grounds make sure of good contact. IDK what else. Someone will though lots of good guys on here.

I do not like the new setup. Sorry I know its a pain to set these things up and run them. Still like the site
Like onemore94dak says, the FAQ page is a great resource.

You may have corrosion in the wiring harness that is causing some circuits to short. It's a known issue for 93-'95 as I recall,, and is explained in the sticky FAQ "General info...", under the heading "Truck will not start". It affects a specific area of the engine bay wire harness, on the driver's side fender, in the vicinity of the windshield washer tank. You have to pull back the protective covering and expose the wires. Look for corrosion where some of the wires splice together.

Last edited by ragged89; 04-27-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:12 PM
fnawesome

Thanks for the info, I must have missed that when I went throgh the faq. Probably just scrolled past it since the truck starts haha. I'll check the harness out and hopefully get it figured out. Im thinking its a wiring issue. Tbats again guys and if anybody else has any ideas would love to read em.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Anthony Sutherland
Default To fnawesome

I'm just curious where abouts you are located fnaweaome? It seams to me that you and I are in pretty much the exact same boat. The only difference is I've had my truck a few months now. But anyways the mileage is almost exactly the same, as well your issues you are experiencing.

I'm in Oregon. What about yourself?

Old 05-02-2017, 09:10 PM
Anthony Sutherland

Originally Posted by fnawesome
For starters, Hello everybody, Im new and this is my first post.

So I got this 93 dodge dakota v8 automatic, about a month ago.a little info abou it that I know.
Miles:158000
When i bought it I:
Did an oil change
Rad. Flush
Changed both coolent temp switches (i forget the specific names but one sends info to gauge and the other controls it, if i remember correctly)
Changed rad. Cap
Flushed heater core
Replaced top coolent hose.

So about a week ago it started acting up. For some reason the power windows stopped working and when i press them the abs and parking brake light both come on until released. Not only that but when I put it in reverse they also come on until I switch to a different gear. They also come on when I turn on the fan for the heater/a.c.

Currently I've checked all the fuses and none of them seem to have been blown. Im pretty stumped and any thoughts or ideas as to whats going on would be appricated.

Note: known issues I'm currently aware of:
Needs new heater core ( current one is leaking)
Fuel gauge isn't working
I've got a check engine light that comes on sporadically i've done the turn key to pull codes things and these are the codes I have:

I dont know that any of these codes are relevent but I could be wrong.

So I haven't checked the codes yet just because pure laziness, but everything I've read about the fuel gauge not working can either be a short in a wire (typically in the wire harness under hood at fuel pump splice) or could also be the fuel pump unit. They did some weird design in just the 5.2 v8 that were a terrible mistake. I'm about to replace my fuel pump right this moment and ill post back if that solved anything.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:26 PM
fnawesome

Originally Posted by Anthony Sutherland
I'm just curious where abouts you are located fnaweaome? It seams to me that you and I are in pretty much the exact same boat. The only difference is I've had my truck a few months now. But anyways the mileage is almost exactly the same, as well your issues you are experiencing.

I'm in Oregon. What about yourself?
Thats so strange, I'm in Idaho.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:31 PM
fnawesome

Originally Posted by Anthony Sutherland
So I haven't checked the codes yet just because pure laziness, but everything I've read about the fuel gauge not working can either be a short in a wire (typically in the wire harness under hood at fuel pump splice) or could also be the fuel pump unit. They did some weird design in just the 5.2 v8 that were a terrible mistake. I'm about to replace my fuel pump right this moment and ill post back if that solved anything.
How'd it go for you? So far I've only gotten as far as visually checking the wire harness and giving it a few shakes and tugs to see if maybe something would change do to a loose wire but no luck.