1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Charging Issue - Code 41

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 01:07 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcubb
External regulator fixed it. 14.3 beautiful volts at idle
thanks for all the quick responses, I'm still learning this truck lol

Now Is there a way to get rid of the 41 code even though the ECM voltage regulator is disconnected? I'm assuming no but I figured I'd ask lol
Thanks again!
Not that I KNOW of ...

Besides replacing the ECM, that is.

RwP

Old 05-01-2017, 04:23 PM
Mcubb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New update (not the good kind)
Had to jump it to get home today. Checked voltage when I got home and the regulator I installed yesterday that was giving the battery 14v is now giving 12v. I also replaced the battery yesterday so it is brand new as well.
Do these regulators come in different sizes or something? Was mine too small and it fried? The one I installed was from Autozone, part # VR733
Thanks

Old 05-01-2017, 07:49 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mcubb
New update (not the good kind)
Had to jump it to get home today. Checked voltage when I got home and the regulator I installed yesterday that was giving the battery 14v is now giving 12v. I also replaced the battery yesterday so it is brand new as well.
Do these regulators come in different sizes or something? Was mine too small and it fried? The one I installed was from Autozone, part # VR733
Thanks
Regulators have a field amperage rating and your alternator has a rotor amperage rating...the regulator field rating should be higher than the rotor rating. Unfortunately the ratings are not ways published or apparent. Unless you've upgraded your alternator to a high output one I wouldn't have expected an issue.

Edit to add....Also, when regulators fail, they almost always open up, allowing the alternator to overcharge at 16 to 18Volts. Thinking you have something going on beside a regulator.

Charge up your battery, and disconnect the alternator from battery and voltage regulator from alternator

Crank Engine

Check voltage at alternator + Terminal and Ground, and + Terminal and Battery -...These should match and be above 14V...If no voltage or weak voltage, increase idle to see if voltage goes up...could be a pulley mismatch or slipping belt if you changed alternators.

Turn off Engine, Connect voltage regulator

Do the same as above. See if Regulator is limiting voltage.

Last edited by robertmee; 05-01-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Mcubb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I got the regulator swapped under warranty and hooked it up. Back to around 13.5v from the + post on the alternator.
I have the Bosch model alt with the dual pulley (90 amps I believe, I at least know the other option which is the Denzo is the higher output)
So I'll run it and see what happens. I did notice that the first regulator was very hot to the touch where it was mounted on the firewall. This one has been relocated to a cooler location at the inside of the fender beside the battery. We'll see

I've replaced the battery, alternator, and the regulator. All fuses and wires are good. What else should I check? I thought those three components pretty much made up the entire charging system

Last edited by Mcubb; 05-01-2017 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Add