1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'87/'88 Dash Vents

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 09:53 PM
WiLiV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '87/'88 Dash Vents

I'm hoping some of you guys can solve a question i've had for a little while..

on older first gens (I know '87 and '88 at least) there is a pullout lever under the gauge cluster that says "Vent" on it. Is this a pass-through vent like on the older cars (I.E, no blower motor, just air blows in) or is it something different? And why was it removed from the newer first gens? It also makes the dash panel plastics incompatible unless you want the hole where the lever goes.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:58 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Just air blows in.

I don't know why they removed it, it makes a LOT of days really nice without running the A/C on my 1988.

You DO know that it doesn't go through the dash plastics, right? It's bolted under them ...

RwP

Old 05-10-2017, 10:12 PM
WiLiV

Ralph-

That's a shame that they removed it. It also gives you a fallback if your blower motor craps out and you're too poor to replace it.

From that picture, it looks like there's a notch in the plastic right under the gauges to allow the lever to pass through. But I don't own an '88, and furthermore you're the god of first gen dakotas, so i'm going to take your word for it

Old 05-11-2017, 12:22 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by WiLiV
Ralph-

That's a shame that they removed it. It also gives you a fallback if your blower motor craps out and you're too poor to replace it.

From that picture, it looks like there's a notch in the plastic right under the gauges to allow the lever to pass through. But I don't own an '88, and furthermore you're the god of first gen dakotas, so i'm going to take your word for it
Heh. That's a cover, not the dash itself.

Easy peasy to swap.

Which reminds me, my spare may NOT have that notch for my 1988 ...

BTW - It does NOTHING if it's cold, except freeze your nether regions.

Don't ask me how I know ... *grins*

RwP

Old 05-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Josh89Griffin
Professional

I have the vent option too on my 88 Dakota! I open it & ride with the windows down now, since my a/c is blowing warm air only.