1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Convertible Door Glass Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:25 PM
Ourgoo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Door Glass Removal

Hi guys, looking for help. Stripping down my 89 convertible for paint and am working on removing the door belt line trim. In order to get at the screws to remove it, I need to first remove the glass. So, I have the glass free of the lifter mechanism but cannot get it out of the door track as it is still held in by a small plastic slider clip that rides inside of the vertical track at the fixed triangle glass. I can pull the glass up to the top by hand, but the plastic clip is holding it in the channel. I can't remove the glass from the door yet because of this. How can I release the plastic slider clip without breaking it off?
Also, can anybody let me know if replacement glass run felt and belt line seals are still available or if I have to reuse what I have as its worn.
Thanks for any help!

Old 05-31-2017, 10:26 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ourgoo
Hi guys, looking for help. Stripping down my 89 convertible for paint and am working on removing the door belt line trim. In order to get at the screws to remove it, I need to first remove the glass. So, I have the glass free of the lifter mechanism but cannot get it out of the door track as it is still held in by a small plastic slider clip that rides inside of the vertical track at the fixed triangle glass. I can pull the glass up to the top by hand, but the plastic clip is holding it in the channel. I can't remove the glass from the door yet because of this. How can I release the plastic slider clip without breaking it off?
Also, can anybody let me know if replacement glass run felt and belt line seals are still available or if I have to reuse what I have as its worn.
Thanks for any help!
There are none for a vert door....the door is unique with the fixed vent window. However recently on the vert Facebook page someone posted about using two sets of the standard dakota beltlines and splicing them together. I need to do he same.

Old 06-01-2017, 12:50 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been a long time since I had the glass out of mine, but I believe I slid the glass all the way up and out the front track. Its continuous from inside the door up to the top of the triangle glass, where a small screw holds it in place.

The teflon liners that run inside the tracks are no longer available. Mine were worn through and since I couldn't find replacements I came up with an alternative. I purchased teflon tape with adhesive on one side, from a small aircraft supply store (sorry I can't recall the name right now, but if it comes to me I'll edit my post). I applied the tape to the edges of the glass and its been working well for several years now.

Old 06-01-2017, 08:12 PM
Ourgoo
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I looked deeper into it today. It appears that there are 4 small rivets holding the vertical glass run in place at the top of the A-pillar. The window appears to be trapped inside the door cavity until I drill out the rivets holding the glass run in place at the top. Looks like once the rivets are gone, the glass run can be pulled up and out of the door. Then the glass will be free to come out afterward. Quality didn't appear to be a high priority in 89. Looks like ASC used a sawzall to barber standard doors in order to make a convertible. Lol. Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-01-2017, 10:31 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

I don't have the vert but I did my beltlines and the glass channel last year. There is a post about it on here. Anyway You can undo the 3 bolts that hold the crank mechanism and it will drop the window down low enough to get at the screws for the beltline. I put a 6 inch 2x4 under it to prevent damage and make it easier to pick up. Hope that works its a lot better than drilling out the rivets. There is also a stop at the base of the channel that is along the back side of the door. It has a couple screws in it. It keeps the bottom of that that channel from moving around.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 06-01-2017 at 10:33 PM.