1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Front axle (hub) bearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 01:11 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front axle (hub) bearing

You're never too old to re-learn something you thought you learned years ago. Possible case-in-point, my truck, an '89 4X4, has been making a roaring, rough, noise that starts with a low growl and gets a little higher in pitch the faster you go. I'm sure its coming from the front, and it seems to be on the passenger side. Make a sweeping left turn and it gets louder, make the same turn to the right and it all but dissappears. I can feel it in the steering wheel too, a slight roughness coming through the wheel.

I confidently diagnosed it as the front right wheel hub bearing. I ordered both front hubs and new front KYB gas-adjust shocks, so I could knock out several items while I'm in there. Tonight I pulled the right front hub, everything came apart easily but when i turned the bearing by hand it felt silky smooth. I turned it while it was still on the truck too, and couldn't feel or hear any roughness. Now I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything; it may only be apparent with weight on it, but, I have a suspicion where this is leading. I've been here before I think. My wife had an AWD Pacifica with bearing noise that I decided was coming from the right rear, based on the same right turn, left turn, weight shifting affect on the noise. But that one turned out to be the left rear hub. So I'm thinking I may need to re-visit that old troubleshooting technique that I've followed so many times in the past, whereby if you turned left and the noise increased you knew the right bearing was bad because the increased load of the vehicle caused it to get louder. Do CV joints and half axles behave differently? Does the geometry involved load the bearings opposite to what you'd expect?

I'll be pulling the other hub in a day or two, and I'm going to be anxious to see if it feels rough.

Old 06-10-2017, 02:32 PM
ragged89
All Star

No update on that left side hub bearing yet. A slipped disc has a way of slowing things down.

Old 06-10-2017, 04:19 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by ragged89
No update on that left side hub bearing yet. A slipped disc has a way of slowing things down.

Ouch. never done that, but I have herniated disc before and that was bad enough. Take care of yourself.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:12 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must run in the dodge family...I've had two surgeries for ruptured discs....take care of yourself....your back has to last you forever.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:54 PM
ragged89
All Star

Sorry to hear you two have experienced this, but at least I'm in good company.

Two surgeries? Man-O-man, hope I don't end up going there!