1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Considering just throwing money at my existing truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 02:28 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash68
maintaining my GFs beetle.
You have my deepest sympathies.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:18 PM
Cash68
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tbugden
You have my deepest sympathies.
Ha. It's actually pretty sweet. Turbo S, 6spd, 1.8T, tuned with unitronics, forge BOV, thing makes like 235hp/275ft/lbs. Sounds like a Subaru, I've had it up to 135 and it was still pulling hard. So far it hasn't needed much.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:29 AM
Cash68
Professional

So is there a better source than CL to find an 8.25 Axle with an LSD?

CL is dry, and all the junk yards in my region are closed on weekends, and I work M-F.

Anyone have ideas?

Old 07-31-2017, 11:34 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is there a better source than CL to find an 8.25 Axle with an LSD?

CL is dry, and all the junk yards in my region are closed on weekends, and I work M-F.

Anyone have ideas?
facebook market place, facebook groups, car-part.com,

Old 07-31-2017, 03:19 PM
Cash68
Professional

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
facebook market place, facebook groups, car-part.com,

I've been trying. Checked car-part.com this morning but none of them listed an LSD, ratios and miles only. :\

I'll try spamming facebook groups.

Old 07-31-2017, 03:31 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

I've been trying. Checked car-part.com this morning but none of them listed an LSD, ratios and miles only. :\

I'll try spamming facebook groups.
if youre going to swap rear ends, at least get a 9.25 from a 97-00. Its a direct bolt in and will have 10" brakes. And you can keep your 15" wheels. Nothing has to be changed at all.

just make sure you get the u bolt plates and u bolts off the new rear end. That's the only thing that needs changed. Everything else bolts up including driveshafts.

Last edited by Toby Warford; 07-31-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:52 PM
tbugden
All Star

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
if youre going to swap rear ends, at least get a 9.25 from a 97-00. Its a direct bolt in and will have 10" brakes. And you can keep your 15" wheels. Nothing has to be changed at all.

just make sure you get the u bolt plates and u bolts off the new rear end. That's the only thing that needs changed. Everything else bolts up including driveshafts.
The shock mounts are rear facing in the '97-'00? I thought they went to opposing shocks immediately with the second gen.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:58 PM
tbugden
All Star

Cash, you mentioned paying a shop to install an LSD for you which would be fairly costly. In the event that you go that route, do you have any friends that do Jeeps etc and go wheeling? If they're even a little serious about it they'll have opened up a few differentials before...if they're real good friends you should be able to toss them a 6 pack and do it...if they're not real good but just good, then $100 should make them happy. I really think you could avoid paying hundreds for a shop install.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:26 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

The shock mounts are rear facing in the '97-'00? I thought they went to opposing shocks immediately with the second gen.
I don't believe so. If make a post in the second gen forum to do double check. Like I said, if youre going to do it, at least make some kind of other upgrsde when you do it. The whole axle is going to cost about the same either way. So why not? Max its going to cost you $20 to have someone cut and reels the shock mount. Its well worth it. Trust me on This.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:23 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Cash, you mentioned paying a shop to install an LSD for you which would be fairly costly. In the event that you go that route, do you have any friends that do Jeeps etc and go wheeling? If they're even a little serious about it they'll have opened up a few differentials before...if they're real good friends you should be able to toss them a 6 pack and do it...if they're not real good but just good, then $100 should make them happy. I really think you could avoid paying hundreds for a shop install.
yup... I have done a few of my own including the 8.25 in my current 96 4X4.... also pulled the front diff apart and replaced all of the bearings in there while I was at it. not a terrible job to do especially if you are going to reuse your original set of gears.