1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Front Lift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 09:08 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Lift Kit

My front wheels are dragging on moderately sharp turns....I'd hate to go to different size tires front and back. I noticed the current stance the front fender clearance to tire is smaller than the rear so I could probably put a 2 or 2.5" lift on the front and level it out. Would this offer more clearance on turns? Any kits that are better than others? I found this one for $80 http://protunesuspension.com/dakota-durango-87-04-2wd-front-lift-kit-with-shock-extender/?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc

I'm running 235/75r15...shocks are new on front.

Last edited by robertmee; 07-29-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:58 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

shocks do NOT control ride height. no matter how cheap or expensive of ones you get, go buy a set of Moog cargo coils (new springs) and swap them out. Yours is 2wd right? If not then crank the torsion bars a bit. Either way the truck will need an alignment after, wait at least a fewdays for them to settle.
235's are a bit tall for a 2wd truck anyways.

Last edited by volaredon; 07-29-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:26 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by volaredon
shocks do NOT control ride height. no matter how cheap or expensive of ones you get, go buy a set of Moog cargo coils (new springs) and swap them out. Yours is 2wd right? If not then crank the torsion bars a bit. Either way the truck will need an alignment after, wait at least a fewdays for them to settle.
235's are a bit tall for a 2wd truck anyways.
Yes 2wd....I disagree on tire height....it was a dealer option that size. But I digress.

I checked out the cargo coils. They don't offer any additional lift so are you suggesting that my current coils are sagging? That might very well be but is there a spec to know? I'd hate to buy new coils and end up with same problem.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:35 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
Yes 2wd....I disagree on tire height....it was a dealer option that size. But I digress.

I checked out the cargo coils. They don't offer any additional lift so are you suggesting that my current coils are sagging? That might very well be but is there a spec to know? I'd hate to buy new coils and end up with same problem.
It does sit my 1988 up a bit; but then, I rather like the resultant height overall.

The factory service manual gives a ride height measurement for 4WD vehicles for my 1988; I'd start there, and see how your truck sits in comparision.

Here's the page from my 1988 FSM, attached.

RwP

Attached Files
Old 07-29-2017, 10:45 AM
Toby Warford
Banned

this is your vert right? That could very well be. It was v6 to begin with and this now has a 5.9 right? If I'm remember all your details right, and the coils weren't swapped when you did the engine swap, theres the probable cause.

In which case if it were me, I'd contact a spring shop and see what they could drum up.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:13 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
this is your vert right? That could very well be. It was v6 to begin with and this now has a 5.9 right? If I'm remember all your details right, and the coils weren't swapped when you did the engine swap, theres the probable cause.

In which case if it were me, I'd contact a spring shop and see what they could drum up.

I tend to agree. FWIW looking on rockauto, they show coil replacements for 3.9 dakota but not 5.2. At least on the 89 and 91.

You may try something like this for a temporary fix. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr-Gasket-Co...VX4Qhv&vxp=mtr

Then if that worked find a set of v8 springs. If it was mine, I would prefer new vs 25+ year old springs. But it may not be a choice.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:12 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Toby Warford

Good thought, Toby....You're right. The V8 sitting in there is considerably heavier than the 3.9 it supplanted.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:22 PM
Cash68
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought 235/75/15s fit, even on RWD. I was just about to order some, so if this isn't true someone please let me know.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:25 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash68
I thought 235/75/15s fit, even on RWD. I was just about to order some, so if this isn't true someone please let me know.
Three of the four fit perfectly on my truck; passenger side front, on a hard left turn, will barely rub. So I don't turn to lock to the left *grins*

And that may be fixed by replacing the 30 year old front springs on my truck; I just can't be arsed to worry about it.

So to recap - you can try them, they should fit OK. Just be aware of the possibility of rubbing on a hard turn.

Oh - and due to the shocks being over 40,000 miles of rough highway, a hard enough bump and my driver's side tire will hit the inner fender; I could avoid that by using a taller suspension snubber in the truck, replacing my shocks (which I need to do anyway, just been Too Darn Hawt! to do around here), and avoiding those hard dips (hard to do when you're doing 75MPH and hit a lobblolly in the road ... )

RwP

Old 07-30-2017, 12:20 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Good thought, Toby....You're right. The V8 sitting in there is considerably heavier than the 3.9 it supplanted.
if it were me, depending on how often you actual drive the truck, or at least for a temporary cheap solution, id look for some coil spring spacers.

Or if that option doesn't sit well with you, no pun intemded lol, the company id probably look at is koni or eibach and see what they can do.

belltech is another. Detroit Eaton is said to do custom springs.

Last edited by Toby Warford; 07-30-2017 at 12:23 PM.