1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Parking lights shorting out somewhere

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 01:42 PM
tomgreene
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking lights shorting out somewhere

My parking lights and plate lights stopped working the other day, but my headlights and blinkers still work fine. I found the fuse was blown in #8, and when I replaced it, it blew again as soon as I pulled the switch. I just put a new light switch in earlier this year and redid the wire ends that are plugged into the switch, and I checked them last night and they still all look fine with no exposed areas. Are there any problem spots I should check for corrosion first before going from each light to the source?

Old 08-25-2017, 09:28 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by tomgreene
My parking lights and plate lights stopped working the other day, but my headlights and blinkers still work fine. I found the fuse was blown in #8, and when I replaced it, it blew again as soon as I pulled the switch. I just put a new light switch in earlier this year and redid the wire ends that are plugged into the switch, and I checked them last night and they still all look fine with no exposed areas. Are there any problem spots I should check for corrosion first before going from each light to the source?
No; but first I'd pull the bulbs and make sure a BULB isn't shorted inside, especially if they're incandescents. If it blew, and the blown filament fell just right, it may short one.

Also, don't forget the wig-wag lights at the front corners if it's an early Gen1 (does not apply for the later Gen1s that don't use the 194 in the corner as a wigwag light.)

But yah, pull all the bulbs, see if it blows again. If it does, then it's in the wiring; if not, then it's a bulb.

Opinion: If you've ever thought about going LED, now would be a good time, although you should also change the flasher modules if you do go LED.

RwP

Old 08-26-2017, 01:02 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RalphP
No; but first I'd pull the bulbs and make sure a BULB isn't shorted inside, especially if they're incandescents. If it blew, and the blown filament fell just right, it may short one.

Also, don't forget the wig-wag lights at the front corners if it's an early Gen1 (does not apply for the later Gen1s that don't use the 194 in the corner as a wigwag light.)

But yah, pull all the bulbs, see if it blows again. If it does, then it's in the wiring; if not, then it's a bulb.

Opinion: If you've ever thought about going LED, now would be a good time, although you should also change the flasher modules if you do go LED.

RwP
uhh.. My 96 which as you know is the last year for first gen ises 194 bulbs for the corner light.. So.. Wut?

Old 08-26-2017, 09:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,201 Likes on 2,953 Posts

have a trailer harness? If so, check where it hits the rear light harness as well.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:43 AM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
uhh.. My 96 which as you know is the last year for first gen ises 194 bulbs for the corner light.. So.. Wut?
I sit corrected; I was not aware that the Aero lights still used a 194 up there.

So, scratch "early Gen1" and say "all Gen1".

*goes check wiring in the FSM for a 1995, yep, single bulb in the wigwag configuration*

Thanks for the correction.

RwP

Old 08-28-2017, 04:49 PM
tomgreene
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally found it today, there was a bare wire on one of my cab lights. I put those on a separate fuse so if they go again I'll still have the rest of the lights I need to drive at night. I do want to go LED though, you guys have any suggestions for LEDs that don't cost an arm and a leg? I've had very hit or miss luck with cheap Amazon lights. It's crazy how old led technology is yet advance auto is still trying to get $25 for two of them

Old 08-28-2017, 06:50 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by tomgreene
Thanks for all the suggestions. I finally found it today, there was a bare wire on one of my cab lights. I put those on a separate fuse so if they go again I'll still have the rest of the lights I need to drive at night. I do want to go LED though, you guys have any suggestions for LEDs that don't cost an arm and a leg? I've had very hit or miss luck with cheap Amazon lights. It's crazy how old led technology is yet advance auto is still trying to get $25 for two of them
Spend the money, go with SuperBrightLEDs or VLEDs is my first suggestion.

That said - I've got a set of these
Amazon Amazon
in the back of my 1988 right now.

Or the 3157 in the back of the Cougar, I forget which offhand.

BOTH of those are nice and bright on brake and are still very visible on parking/tail lights.

RwP