1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

NC State Inspection - No dash illumination on '93

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 02:45 PM
yablokosmonaut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NC State Inspection - No dash illumination on '93

Hello all,

I have tried searching for details on the NC state inspection and have found nothing so far specifically about the dash lights.

All the warning lights work, (oil, gas, etc.) and show when the key is turned, but the general dial illumination does not. So no RPM or speedometer reading in the dark.

I bought the truck with this issue. I replaced the appropriate fuse immediately and the lights worked again, but within a minute they were off. So there's something shorting somewhere.

My question is whether this is something that is checked/cared about by NC inspection. I have until January, I just want to know if I ought to be saving to get the wiring fixed or not by then.

For early morning or late night drives I use Waze, the GPS that has the speed in the lower left corner, so it's not an issue I would get fixed for myself.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

John

Old 09-09-2017, 03:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

It is not specifically mentioned. Guess it all depends on how **** the inspector is.

Old 09-09-2017, 04:01 PM
yablokosmonaut
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello jkeaton,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to get a feel for different places that do inspections to see if I can make it more likely that I visit a lenient one.

Old 09-09-2017, 09:53 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by yablokosmonaut
Hello jkeaton,

Thanks for your reply. I'll try to get a feel for different places that do inspections to see if I can make it more likely that I visit a lenient one.
Which county in NC? I'm in wake and can tell you where to take it and they don't care. Lights, turn signals, brakes and horn is all they check....$13 for a 93.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:17 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Oh yeah. I didn't see the year. Very basic for pre-96 vehicles.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:09 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

I know this is not what you ask, but if it was mine, I would replace the headlamp switch. The dashlight dimmer is part of it, and they do fail, espically with age. Its like 13 bucks at rock auto. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....087545&jsn=441