1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1990 Dakota SE: Brakes Squeel When Not Applied

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 05:37 PM
bitfracture
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
I believe the BrakeBest (O'Reiley's) is the same as Advance Auto's Wearever...Basically private label lower grade Wagner. The TQ's have a good reputation as do Raybestos. EBC makes the best brake pads, but they are $$ and don't know if they have Dakota pads. I've never heard of any of them having specific squealing problems, unless they aren't seated properly after installation. The lower brands just usually have slightly less stopping power and wear faster.
In one of the four noisy pads I removed today, the metallic pad was LOOSE on the metal back plate. I could wiggle it with my hand... and the others were questionable. I have no doubt that this had something to do with the problem.

Well, it turned out that O'Reilly's was fresh out of those "better" pads (for good). So I visited NAPA and forfeited my entire life savings over for some "NAPA Premium Silent Guard" brake pads, which several of the staff claimed were excellent.

Results so far: Not a peep from the brakes. Very quiet!

Only time will tell if I end up with the same defect again. I have to let them wear in. But this is a good start. O'Reilly's even let me warranty return the 344s and somehow in the process I made $2.30 that I didn't spend in the first place... interesting, right?

Thanks again, everyone. If the problem comes back, I'll reply to this thread. My fingers are crossed!

Old 09-15-2017, 08:31 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you got it resolved. Great job.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,199 Likes on 2,951 Posts

That's one of the reasons I don't care for the riveted pads.....

Old 09-23-2018, 05:45 PM
thebarbarian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine too, just when backing.

My 2002 does it when backing and turning the wheel. The rotors are warped, and I'm having them worked on tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.