1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 Dodge Dakota LE

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:06 PM
RWEJR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 93 Dodge Dakota LE

Replacing ball joint and Bushing, Having big problem with upper ball joints the are threaded and will not move a bit soaked them with PB-blaster used heat will not turn. Have the correct sock for ball joints breaker bar with extension bar. any tips tricks would be appreciated thanks for your time.

Old 09-26-2017, 03:39 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Between soaking for a week or so, heat, and a 3/4 breaker bar, I got mine out..... I have read of others taking the arm off and mounting it in a vise with a 1in impact. Also, one other problem can be that the threads are ruined and you have to spot weld the new joint in place. BTW a complete arm is not available (new)

Old 09-26-2017, 03:47 PM
RWEJR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Between soaking for a week or so, heat, and a 3/4 breaker bar, I got mine out..... I have read of others taking the arm off and mounting it in a vise with a 1in impact. Also, one other problem can be that the threads are ruined and you have to spot weld the new joint in place. BTW a complete arm is not available (new)

Thanks for you input I am waiting on a Craftsman Impact to get here hoping like mad that will do the trick. have a nice day

Old 09-27-2017, 06:59 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RWEJR
Thanks for you input I am waiting on a Craftsman Impact to get here hoping like mad that will do the trick. have a nice day
I have all the right tools at my disposal...impact air, ball joint pullers, etc. The only way I got mine out was ro remove the control arm and use a 12 ton press...it was easy then. The c clamp press just wasn't enough.