1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

4x4 94 Dakota rear coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 11:13 PM
biggman100
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 94 Dakota rear coilovers

I have a 1994 extended cab, 5 speed 4x4 Dakota, that for certain uses, could stand a bit of help in the rear. I have already tried helper springs, which helped some but, in some situations, such as unloaded, made it ride stiff and bouncy, and, air bags didnt work, since i am on a lot of dirt roads, and blew 3 bags from rocks in less than 4 miles, so, now, i am considering coilovers. I want to leave the stock rear leaf springs, which i have replaced with new springs recently, and add adjustable coilovers for when i need the extra help, such as for when i am hauling cut logs for a wood stove down a 4 mile long dirt road, but, i keep hearing coil overs with leaf springs arent a good idea, so, my question is, has anyone actually done it? Did it work? How well? Any drawbacks? Before anyone suggests it, no, i am not going through the time and expense of building a 3 or 4 link (that was the first 20 suggestions on another forum when i asked this).

Old 10-02-2017, 08:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,206 Likes on 2,958 Posts

Biggest problem I can see with it is: The shock mounts really weren't designed to be weight bearing components. Shocks were designed (on these trucks) to control motion, not support a heavy load.

Old 10-02-2017, 12:33 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Biggest problem I can see with it is: The shock mounts really weren't designed to be weight bearing components. Shocks were designed (on these trucks) to control motion, not support a heavy load.
Yeah I agree. I believe Toby Warford here has the Monroe load-adjust shocks on his 1st gen (or maybe I'm mistaken) and I don't recall that he's had any issues. But personally I'd probably pull the bed and reinforce that crossmember or build a new one if I were to do coil over shocks. Honestly it would be super easy to build a stout one. I think you could find a piece of scrap but non rotted c-channel, cut it to length, drill some holes for the shocks and for where the crossmember bolts to the frame, and it would be very stout. No welding required. Just gotta pull the bed and grind the rivets out of the old crossmember.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:24 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I have load adjustinf monroe coil over shocks on my 96 long bed 4x4 and love them. Unloaded they ride nice and soft. Loaded, they work as advertised and still ride great.

This car weighed in at 3600lbs, the trailer about 1200. Rebound was nice and firm without bouncing all over the place, and still had a great ride. I cant recommend these enough.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:36 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mm... I cant believe they've been discontinued but I can't find any now using a quick search. On off Thursday and ill try to find a part number on them and take a pic for everyone.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:41 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Those shocks are Monroe Sensa Trac part number 58614. Looks like Pepboys and Napa, as well as eBay has them listed. I had them installed on my truck for years (5-10 maybe?), with heavy use. No problems with them or the frame. My lower brackets are not stock but I doubt they would have problems. I think I had used the Sensa Trac for a lifted Chevy do to the SAS I had installed. They claim they add 1-2in lift on a stock vehicle. Just if you're or others are interested I have a PDF with all the dimensions for Monroe shocks including. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota/369966-trailmaster-shocks-and-lift-kit.html

4x4 94 Dakota rear coilovers-qhol8cb.jpg