1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1st gen 4x4 front lift problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 11:00 PM
Skeen37757
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen 4x4 front lift problems

Ok guys I need some help here. I got a 89 Dakota 4x4 setting on 31x13.50 tsl and I got the torsion bars cranked almost all the way. Truck looks great and everything but the A arms are setting on the bump stops up front. Now the rubber has came out so now it’s metal to metal. What I need to know is can you just cut off the bump stop brackets?? And if so would you have any other issues. Like maybe cv axles getting in to much of a bend or anything. Thanks guys.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,198 Likes on 2,950 Posts

Bump stops are there for a reason. Pushing beyond where they should be limiting suspension travel lends a whole host of potential problems. Hyper-extending the axles, or the balljoints....... using the shocks as bump stops isn't exactly good for them either....... You really need a real lift kit there.

Welcome to DF! Going to move this to the First Gen Dakota section for you.

Old 10-26-2017, 07:27 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

I agree with HeyYou....... But the problem is, I dont think you are going to be able to find a suspension lift kit, at least for the front. "Welcome to the aftermarket world of the 1st gen dakota"

On the rear, you could get longer shocks, longer u-bolts, and blocks to raise the rear, but still stuck with what to do with the front.

There has been a few on here who have installed solid axles up front, but that is a major job to do..... Not to mention its not going to handle as well.

If it was mine, I would look at a body lift. My understanding is, 2in. is available, and 3in. can be made. Then I would try to crank those torsion bars down some.

Good luck!!

Edit to say, that is a good looking stance on that truck!!!