1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Wipers not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 04:05 PM
tomgreene
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers not working

I was driving home in the rain a couple days ago and my wipers quit working. I took the wiper motor off today and it was unresponsive when I tried it with it not attached to the wiper linkage. I can still hear a click inside the dash when I flip the switch on, but nothing else. The washer works fine. I'm assuming that the motor went bad, I don't have a suitable test light at my apartment to check. So assuming it's the motor, will any motor from a first gen work? Looking to go the cheap route and buy from a junk yard. Thanks

Old 10-27-2017, 05:27 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

That motor was used on wide range of vehicles back in the 90's. The most relevant ones, the ones you're most likely to still find at the JY, are the Dakota (89-96) and the Ram trucks (94-96).

Steve

Old 10-27-2017, 05:47 PM
tomgreene
Rookie
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by glenlloyd
That motor was used on wide range of vehicles back in the 90's. The most relevant ones, the ones you're most likely to still find at the JY, are the Dakota (89-96) and the Ram trucks (94-96).

Steve
sounds good, thank you

Old 10-28-2017, 10:48 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Hey Tom
Just so you know, rock auto has the motors for $52.00 Also, look at the arm bushings, while you have it apart. Seems to be a wear item and they are cheap to replace, especially considering you already have it apart.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:50 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
Hey Tom
Just so you know, rock auto has the motors for $52.00 Also, look at the arm bushings, while you have it apart. Seems to be a wear item and they are cheap to replace, especially considering you already have it apart.
This.

THIS.

And buy them new.

Dorman has'em, for the exact part numbers you can check DormanProducts.COM and they'll give you the part numbers in each of the brands they sell under.

(Typically a HELP! number for most stores - if you run into the UNEEDA brands, they add a digit to the front of the Dorman number, so still crossable easily.)

You'll need three of the cap bushings and one of the through bushings (they also package them differently).

And a suggestion: Take some white lithium grease, bearing grease, or front end grease and lube up the bushings as you're assembling them (on the inside) to help extend their life. I found out you need to push them AWAY when assembling the pieces since that grease may come out at a good speed (nothing to worry about, what got past my glasses was washed out of my eye easily enough ... but you don't need to do my stupid mistake also!)

I'd seriously consider a new one if at all possible - if you're a Amazon Prime member, you can also check the part numbers (both the Chrysler one and the after market number) and see what they charge. For one, I get at $56, free shipping; that beats the $51 at RockAuto due to the shipping cost.

(The well used ones are $10 and up at the bone yards; even if you DO go that way, I'd save up and replace with a new one anyway, because, well, a motor from a 1993 is now 25 years old ... )

RwP

Old 10-28-2017, 04:55 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

the Dorman ones are Junk JUNK. still available from the Mopar parts counter and though they are around $5-something each, much better made. I just bought some this past week. I just went thru this on my 78 Fury, the Dorman ones would last 2 uses of the wipers... (they used the SAME bushing on many vehicles for many years! Same exact ones as the Dakotas take.... I have had 5 87-96 Dakotas incl the pair I have now) the factory ones go on harder but it is worth it.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:12 PM
RalphP
Champion

I dunno, mine are now 3 years old and rocking (the Dorman bushings). Then again, I lubed them before I assembled ...

RwP

Old 10-28-2017, 07:55 PM
tomgreene
Rookie

Thank you all for the info. I actually went to the junk yard this morning, and asked to test the replacement (which was $35 used) before purchasing. It was brought to my attention that the motor is grounded to the body and won't work when it's unbolted. Anyways I tested the old one properly and it still worked! It was just a grounding issue. Took some high grit sandpaper to the nuts and other surfaces, hit them with dielectric grease and all is well! Lucked out and saved some money. As far as the bushings go, the one that you put the end of the motor through was halfway gone. Unfortunately no stores near me had the right kit so looks like I'll be disassembling everything again in the future.

I also ran into another problem when trying to access the wiper linkage. I unscrewed 7 screws holding on the grated plate and took one of the wiper arms off. The other arm would not budge. It looks like a previous owner put a screw through it (splines wore too much?) and the head snapped off. Luckily I was able to squeeze my hand in and seat the motor into the linkage with the grate piece still attached. I'd really like to get that piece off in order to replace the bushings. If i take a saw to the part that the arms clamp on to, will I be able to replace that easily?

Old 10-28-2017, 08:15 PM
RalphP
Champion

Umm ... If you mean the drive shafts, yes, but you'll need to find them in the boneyard.

I'm not sure if any but the Dakotas are compatible.

I'd pick up the ENTIRE wiper transmission, after verifying both shafts are good, and rebuild that one. That way, you can sand down and repaint the metal pieces, and take your time rebuilding it.

Also, pick up some good wiper arms from the boneyard; the Dorman parts are absolute crap.

RwP

Old 11-03-2017, 07:57 AM
Josh89Griffin
Professional

I plan on replacing the wiper motor and wiper linkage bushings tonight on my 88 Dakota 3.9! I have bought a reman wiper motor from A1 Cardone on Amazon and bought a pack of 2 "drive link connector bushings" from NAPA. NAPA also list a "drive link motor crank bushing". Would I need to purchase that bushing as well?