1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'91 Dakota V-8 stopped running

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 01:47 PM
nedsum49
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 Dakota V-8 stopped running

My '91 Dakota V-8 stopped running while I was parking it . Usually when that happens, I have to buy a new Dist. Pick-up. This did not fix the problem; so I replaced the Dist. Cap, the Rotor Button and Ign. Coil and another Dist. Pick-up. It will crank but will not start. It does not seem to be firing the plugs at all. I can hear the fuel pump running when I first turn on the key. The truck has 170,000 miles and is used on my land as a work truck. What do I check next ?

Old 12-06-2017, 02:21 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Voltage on the positive side of the coil when cranking or when the ASD relay is bypassed.

What does it say in the factory service manual for your truck?

RwP

Old 12-06-2017, 03:09 PM
nedsum49

I do not have a Factory Service Manual; does the site have a PDF of one ?

Old 12-06-2017, 06:50 PM
RalphP
Champion

They don't for a 1991; they do have the wiring diagrams for a 1990, so that's a good start (with the understanding that Mother Mopar used to **** into things to change it Just Because between years, and sometimes during a year ... )

Might have to hit up Ebay or RockAuto; Ebay will have them used off and on, RockAuto will have them when Bishko has them in print and pressed (RA will have them both paper and on a DVD as a PDF; I'd opt for the PDF and print off what I needed as I needed, but then again, I picked up paper AND PDF for my 1988 ... )

RwP

Old 05-13-2018, 12:28 AM
nedsum49

The ignition coil has .22 volts on the + side and .35 volts on the - side with the key on. I read it should have 6 to 8 volts with the key on.
Where does the power to the coil come from ? a relay ? the ignition switch ? I will be glad to get any help !

Old 05-13-2018, 05:01 AM
RalphP
Champion

It won't just because the key is on; the 12V on the coil is switched through the ASD.

I'd be checking to see if there's power at the ASD relay, and bypass it temporarily.

RwP

Old 05-13-2018, 08:50 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely check the asd relay. Check for power at the ignition fuse in the pdc, peel back your wiring harness where the relays go into it, look for the fusible links ( hint: they'll be wrapped in hockey tape) check them for corrosion or breaks. Also check the wires that lead into the connector for your ignition coil and make sure none of them are broke, or corroded

The following users liked this post:
Ed barth (02-11-2020)
Old 05-16-2018, 02:53 PM
nedsum49

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
Definitely check the asd relay. Check for power at the ignition fuse in the pdc, peel back your wiring harness where the relays go into it, look for the fusible links ( hint: they'll be wrapped in hockey tape) check them for corrosion or breaks. Also check the wires that lead into the connector for your ignition coil and make sure none of them are broke, or corroded
I checked the relays in the box under the hood. The 2 relays that my truck uses had 12 v so I swapped the relay from the AC Cooling Fan to the Auto
Shut Down spot. The Ign. Coil was now getting 8.3 v on the Gray ( + ) wire and the Black ( - ) wire had 9.0 v. Still would not start. I checked the voltage
on the Gray ( + ) of the Ign. Coil and it dropped to 5.9v from 8.3 v when cranking the engine over; on the Black ( - ) wire also dropped from 9.0 v to 6.6 v
when cranking. I am going put a different battery in the truck. Maybe the battery is causing the Voltage Drop ? ? Any ideas on what is happening ?

Old 05-17-2018, 12:01 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So voltage to the coil but no start. Ok next u need to grab a buddy, pull a spark plug, stick it back in the wire, hold it against the block, and have your buddy crank the engine so you can see if you're getting spark. If you are getting spark then you need to look into the fact that that there's no fuel being shot into the cylinder for the spark plug to ignite. If that's the case, good chance you've got no signal going to injector(s) which could be the injector driver in the pcm. If you don't have spark then there's a good chance that your crank sensor and or coil is toast.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:08 AM
nedsum49

O K thanks for the reply. If the rain holds off I will check that Thursday.

Quick Reply: '91 Dakota V-8 stopped running