1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Heater Doesn't Blow Hot Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:06 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Chris,
I learned ho to work on this truck by doing the Plenum kit. I had never taken a motor apart that far before. With the instructions and a page Hughes Engines links to with pictures it was pretty easy.. I would have used 2 inch painters tape and made bigger labels for the bolts and wires otherwise its simple. the hard part is the effort and having the time and money to do it. I also did the timing chain and water pump and crossover hose. It being my first time and other reasons it took me 3 days to get it done. http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=category&level0=Qi0gU21hbGwgQm xvY2sgRG9kZ2UgTWFnbnVt&level1=SW5kdWN0aW9uIChJbnRh a2VzICYgQ29sZCBBaXIgS2l0cyk=&partid=26194

Even if you don't do the plenum kit you should change the gaskets if you end up having to get a mechanic to remove the intake to extract that bolt. There is a link http://www.****************.com/smf/...p?topic=9504.0 on that Hughes Engines page in the customer testimonials which takes you to a page with instructions and pics of a guy doing the kit on a V8. It works the same for the V6. Taking the AC off without draining it is possible and it shows that.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:34 PM
Ruff16965
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good evening all,

Sorry I did not update you all. This year has not been too good for me, a cold, a tooth extraction and now the flu.

Right after the first of the year I had a mobile mechanic out to drill out and retap the hole, we got that done over 2 days. He came late in the day the first day and then it was raining and dark. So everything went back together and we ran it for about 20 minutes with no apparent leaks. The heater still blows luke warm air. He said on reaching in that the hose going in is hot but the one coming out is barely warm. So we are thinking that it is not an air bubble but a blockage in the heater coil.

I picked up some Prestone Radiator Cleaner and am going to do the deep clean over several days, Basically pour it in and then drive it over several days, since I have a trip to Sacramento and then towards the Bay area later this week, I think that is fine, then I will take it into to Firestone for their Flush and fluid replacement. Since that includes and inspection and pressure test I think that is best. I have a leak somewhere. I have a pretty good idea where. The mobile mechanic did not put the hose as far down the intake pipe as the old one was, actually to me it is barely on, but with everything going on, I have not been driving much, less that 100 miles in 2 months so I have not gone out and messed with it.

Quick Reply: Heater Doesn't Blow Hot Air