1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Heater Doesn't Blow Hot Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 06:32 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

The left hand bits can be got at Harbor freight and they drill in when you run the drill motor in reverse.

Old 12-17-2017, 06:45 PM
Ruff16965
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am reading Chilton and Hayes manuals. I have move a cross brace and a couple of heavy hoses, there are 2 cables going into the carberoator area that I need to figure out how to move/unhook, currently I can not get the drill and bit in a position to you. Need a foot long drill bit and I could go in from the top.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,382 Likes on 3,122 Posts

ON the outer cable, there is a little lock on the passenger side that you can see there. It's just a nub, that sticks into a hole. Pry the nub back a bit, then slide the cable straight up out of the bracket.

The other cable, you will have to disengage from the throttle body first, then you need to squeeze the ears together, and it will pull out toward the front of the truck. Just set 'em out of the way.

Harbor freight also sells drill extensions. Stick the bit into one end, tighten down the allen screws to hold it in place, the chuck it into the drill. I love 'em.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:54 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruff16965
I will not be doing the replacement of the intake, that would be a professional. Not to sound stupid but what is the intake? Is that the same and the manifold?
Wasn't saying REPLACE, but if it works out it's better to pull the intake manifold (yes, there's at least three manifolds; two exhaust and one intake; on your truck) then it'd be ideal to redo the plenum gasket.

RwP

Old 12-18-2017, 11:56 AM
Ruff16965
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
ON the outer cable, there is a little lock on the passenger side that you can see there. It's just a nub, that sticks into a hole. Pry the nub back a bit, then slide the cable straight up out of the bracket.

The other cable, you will have to disengage from the throttle body first, then you need to squeeze the ears together, and it will pull out toward the front of the truck. Just set 'em out of the way..
Wish me luck, heading out to work on it. I was up all night, if there was a street light over the hood area I think I would of worked on it in the middle of the night.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:41 PM
Ruff16965
Professional

Okay, I am officially giving up and calling a mechanic. I got the outside cable disconnected no problem, broke the housing on the other one at the throttle I assume it is. Then started drilling to use the easy out and have snapped the drill bit. Not sure if I am doing things wrong or what.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Probably not. Just par for the course...... broken bolts are ALWAYS a PITA.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Ruff16965
Professional

Okay, so I was reading the sticker inside the easy out box, I am supposed to start with the smallest drill bit and then work up, I went back out and went to the next highest size, am now charging both drills and all batteries. I have lost the easy out I was planning on using between the engine and the ac compressor, I know it isn't the alternator as I removed that. I have to say working on computers is way easier, you drop something inside you can pick up the case and tilt it to get to things. No such luck with the truck.

Old 12-18-2017, 04:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, holding the truck up, and shaking it, would just give you a nice shower in various interesting fluids.

Might be able to snake it out from under there with a magnet?

Old 12-18-2017, 06:59 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Heh.

Sounds like you have my luck ... I had to pull my intake and have someone use a EDM machine to cut out the old bolt.

If you do that (and it's not that hard, really; get some rags to cover the intake ports on the heads while the intake is out!) you might as well do the plenum gasket (as I mentioned earlier.)

Be sure to locate the factory service manual to get the right torque settings and sequence; and I'd replace the intake manifold bolts (I spent BigBux and bought ARP hardware; if I have to replace it, I will replace with the best parts I can possibly afford!!) The FSM should be available on Ebay or via DVD from places like RockAuto (or even the original publishing house for Chrysler, Bishko).

RwP

Quick Reply: Heater Doesn't Blow Hot Air