1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

What should a head gasket job cost?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Josephrking
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should a head gasket job cost?

Hey guys,

trying to see see what’s about average for a head gasket job.. I am deciding if I should just attempt it myself or take it to shop.

This truck is just to nice to let go so I’m trying to fix it up a bit. Yes it’s smoking out exhaust and using antifreeze
its a 93 3.9 4 wheel

thanks
joe

Last edited by Josephrking; 12-19-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

A lot depends on where you are. Labor rates can get pretty stupid. But, you are looking at six to eight hours labor, plus whatever parts it needs. Entirely possible the heads will be cracked, and need to be replaced.... another 5 or 6 hundred bucks...... As a usual rule of thumb, labor is the real killer.... If you have a place to work on it, and the tools to do so, aren't in a hurry, (have something else to drive....) You could save yourself a pile of cash by doing it yourself.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:42 AM
Josephrking
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
A lot depends on where you are. Labor rates can get pretty stupid. But, you are looking at six to eight hours labor, plus whatever parts it needs. Entirely possible the heads will be cracked, and need to be replaced.... another 5 or 6 hundred bucks...... As a usual rule of thumb, labor is the real killer.... If you have a place to work on it, and the tools to do so, aren't in a hurry, (have something else to drive....) You could save yourself a pile of cash by doing it yourself.
i do have another vehicle to drive and not to big of a hurry but it’s gettint cold here in Wisconsin

think im going to try it myself with a friend.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Having a friend to help, even if all they do is hand you tools, makes the job MUCH more pleasant.

We had snow for a week or two, rained yesterday, even warmer today.... and most of it is now gone. Welcome to Michigan....... Don't like the weather? Wait five minutes, it'll change.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Josephrking
Rookie

Having a friend to help, even if all they do is hand you tools, makes the job MUCH more pleasant.

We had snow for a week or two, rained yesterday, even warmer today.... and most of it is now gone. Welcome to Michigan....... Don't like the weather? Wait five minutes, it'll change.
supposed to get up to 6 inches this weekend then next week most days the average high is 1 degree lol.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:55 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Josephrking
supposed to get up to 6 inches this weekend then next week most days the average high is 1 degree lol.
Yuck. Glad I don't live there.

Old 12-19-2017, 12:18 PM
Josephrking
Rookie

Yuck. Glad I don't live there.
winters are pretty miserable lol. But summer makes up for it.

So back to head gaskets, I have oreillys ordering a full engine gasket kit. $170 so not to bad. Will do plenum while at it also. Hoping it doesn’t take more than a week working on after work. Might look into abs lights also while at it. Wanna do transfer case oil

Old 12-19-2017, 01:56 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

winters are pretty miserable lol. But summer makes up for it.

So back to head gaskets, I have oreillys ordering a full engine gasket kit. $170 so not to bad. Will do plenum while at it also. Hoping it doesn’t take more than a week working on after work. Might look into abs lights also while at it. Wanna do transfer case oil
if you're going to do the plenum, get an aluminum 1/4" plenum pan. Bare minimum, get 1/4" shorter bolts to keep from having to do it again a long time from now

Old 12-19-2017, 04:07 PM
Josephrking
Rookie

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
if you're going to do the plenum, get an aluminum 1/4" plenum pan. Bare minimum, get 1/4" shorter bolts to keep from having to do it again a long time from now

yeah I’ll get the Hughes kit.

is there any other cause for the white smoke and slight anti freeze consumption? Truck runs awesome no check engine lights.. I’m leaning towards doin the gaskets myself but if there’s another possible cause that would be easier I’m all ears lol. I’m looking at a full engine gasket kit from oreillys for $170.

Last edited by Josephrking; 12-19-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I’ll get the Hughes kit.

is there any other cause for the white smoke and slight anti freeze consumption? Truck runs awesome no check engine lights.. I’m leaning towards doin the gaskets myself but if there’s another possible cause that would be easier I’m all ears lol. I’m looking at a full engine gasket kit from oreillys for $170.
if I were you, I'd get a leak down test down. And a compressesion check. No sence in doing the head gasket if the heads are cracked. And used heads are a deal shot. New year's are $1200 and up iirc. Might be time for an engine swap. Upgrade the ol girl.

Quick Reply: What should a head gasket job cost?