1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Oxygen Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 02:22 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts

FINAL

I successfully replaced my oxygen sensor. Not the easiest job but it could have been worse. Hardest part was working with one hand most of the time due to tight spaces. Kind of a pain to thread on new sensor and plug in the connector. Not too bad though. I had soaked the old sensor with PB Blaster for four or five days. A standard 7/8" box wrench and a trailer hitch (for a cheater bar) using medium pressure and it broke loose. I used an NGK replacement sensor as it is my understanding NGK supplies Mopar with their sensors. Sure looked the same. I detached the ground from the battery prior to installing. Didn't want to wig out the computer. And I didn't. Old sensor had carbon on it, sure enough (see pix below). So we'll see what the mileage does. Overall, not too bad of a job.

Sensor is located in front of the catalytic converter from under the truck. It's on the top side angled just enough to get a standard box wrench on it. The wires go up and over the transmission and the connector is on the other side of the tranny. I cut the wires first so I could get the box wrench on the old sensor. I was then able to pull the old connector down so it was a little easier to work on. The new wire/connector threaded through OK. Like I say, tight spaces so you'll have to contort yourself a bit to complete this job. Get yourself a cheater bar to add leverage when breaking the old sensor loose.

Last edited by bronze; 01-12-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:17 PM
deaconite
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been some months since you changed your 02 sensor. Just curious,... did it improve your mileage? Just thinking I might change mine too if it improves mileage significantly.

Last edited by deaconite; 01-21-2018 at 07:19 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-22-2018, 10:31 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by deaconite
It's been some months since you changed your 02 sensor. Just curious,... did it improve your mileage? Just thinking I might change mine too if it improves mileage significantly.
Deacon, actually it has been only 10 days since I changed my sensor. And I haven't filled up the tank since (I haven't been driving much). So I cannot say if my mileage has improved. When one has a 25 year old vehicle, one is more inclined to change out wearable parts such as an oxygen sensor BEFORE they fail. The thinking is this sensor is on borrowed time and even if there is nothing knowingly wrong with the part it can be said at 24 years old there is a higher likelihood it has a short life span. Perhaps my calculation would be different if it were an expensive replacement but I paid only $36 for an NGK (OEM supplier) sensor. And my time is free since I am retired. Small price for peace of mind and if it improves my gas mileage then it's a bonus. I have noticed a decrease in my mileage over the past year and this is just one of several things I did in response. I will report back with any new findings.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:28 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
Deacon, actually it has been only 10 days since I changed my sensor. And I haven't filled up the tank since (I haven't been driving much). So I cannot say if my mileage has improved. When one has a 25 year old vehicle, one is more inclined to change out wearable parts such as an oxygen sensor BEFORE they fail. The thinking is this sensor is on borrowed time and even if there is nothing knowingly wrong with the part it can be said at 24 years old there is a higher likelihood it has a short life span. Perhaps my calculation would be different if it were an expensive replacement but I paid only $36 for an NGK (OEM supplier) sensor. And my time is free since I am retired. Small price for peace of mind and if it improves my gas mileage then it's a bonus. I have noticed a decrease in my mileage over the past year and this is just one of several things I did in response. I will report back with any new findings.
I too am interested in knowing whether your replacement resulted in improved mpg. I'd think by now you would know, it's been a year..

The reality is that unless people get a CEL that says the oxygen sensor is failing the part will not get replaced regardless as to whether it's 25 years old. It's the same psychology as struts / shocks, they fail so slowly people never acknowledge the problem until it becomes a blatant slap in the face and they either do it or just keep driving and ignore it some more and then eventually it causes an accident and that resolves their decision because the car goes to the JY.

Generally people don't bother replacing anything that isn't obviously worn out, and the oxygen sensor is one of those 'out of sight, out of mind' parts that you don't see.

So, for anyone replacing the oxygen sensor, did that result in a return of better mpg or was it just a waste of time and money?

Thanks
Steve

Last edited by glenlloyd; 04-25-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:26 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by glenlloyd
I too am interested in knowing whether your replacement resulted in improved mpg. I'd think by now you would know, it's been a year..

The reality is that unless people get a CEL that says the oxygen sensor is failing the part will not get replaced regardless as to whether it's 25 years old. It's the same psychology as struts / shocks, they fail so slowly people never acknowledge the problem until it becomes a blatant slap in the face and they either do it or just keep driving and ignore it some more and then eventually it causes an accident and that resolves their decision because the car goes to the JY.

Generally people don't bother replacing anything that isn't obviously worn out, and the oxygen sensor is one of those 'out of sight, out of mind' parts that you don't see.

So, for anyone replacing the oxygen sensor, did that result in a return of better mpg or was it just a waste of time and money?

Thanks
Steve
No improvement in gas mileage. I concluded my oxygen sensor was just fine. But it does not bother me that I changed it. At 26 years old you never know when it will go out and it isn't expensive. I bought the OEM brand.

Old 04-25-2019, 05:20 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glenlloyd

Thanks
Steve
PM is never a waste of time. O2 sensors deteriorate a lot before theyre bad enough to get a code. Just because theres no code doesn't mean its not a good thing to replace it. Just like spark plugs. Replacing spark plugs can give back 10hp or more if theyre worn enough. But you may not see a misfire code. Same with a lot of other things. A code means total failure.

Old 04-26-2019, 01:01 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
No improvement in gas mileage. I concluded my oxygen sensor was just fine. But it does not bother me that I changed it. At 26 years old you never know when it will go out and it isn't expensive. I bought the OEM brand.
I would agree, 26 years is a long time for an OXS, just reading today about this apparently 60k miles is the recommended replacement interval but whether that's actual or promoted by a sensor manufacturer I cannot say. I just think it's more reasonable to check the OXS function before replacing but I get that a 26 yo unit is probably due for a replacement.

Originally Posted by 96360
PM is never a waste of time. O2 sensors deteriorate a lot before theyre bad enough to get a code. Just because theres no code doesn't mean its not a good thing to replace it. Just like spark plugs. Replacing spark plugs can give back 10hp or more if theyre worn enough. But you may not see a misfire code. Same with a lot of other things. A code means total failure.
Yes, PM is great, I'm a huge proponent of PM, but a person could replace a perfectly good OXS if they don't test it first. I only say this because I need to make sure that my maintenance dollars are wisely spent. I don't just replace things to be replacing them unless there's some huge benefit, like it's a lot of work to go back and replace it later on etc.

Since I'm sure that mine is 25 years old, and about 10k miles on it, I'll be replacing it with another, but out of curiousity I will be testing the old one before installing the new one.

Steve

Old 04-26-2019, 08:21 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

One big thing to remember, glenlloyd, is that as O2 sensors get old, they get "lazy" and slow, and don't respond as fast as the air/fuel mix changes.

So you end up running off peak.

At 25 years, yep, time to replace - it's like replacing a valet at the country club when they've been there 125 years driving ...

RwP

Old 04-27-2019, 09:20 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

I do replace a bunch of parts over the years just because they are old. On my 92, I know the front control arm bushing on the pass side was shot.... a few days ago I replaced all 4 upper control arm bushings (hey the box I bought came with all 4, and I would have to get it realigned each time I changed just 1, and with 27 years and 224K miles it was just time. A lot of people would bitch about this part... I also replaced all 4 ball joints at the same time. Again it was just time. I've had ball joints go bad with ALOT less miles on cars that had a much easier life than this truck has had (at least over the 60K miles that it has been mine) and you guts would really think I'm nuts because today's project is 4 tie rod ends and rack bushings.... again I have 1 tie rod end (driver side inner) that has some play in it. but I am changing all 4. And I always spend the money on "the good stuff" I never skimp and get the "cheap line" unless I am in a bind and that is all that is available. But I usually go back and redo the job with "the good parts" as soon as I can. Tues it goes for alignment then as soon after that my 4 new tires go on.... I drive this thing at least 70 miles a day for work, I refuse to spend $50K+ on a new truck, I put too many miles on them too fast, I don't think I have spent $50k on ALL of the vehicles (to initially buy them anyway) I have had in 36 years of being a licensed driver. I drive them til they DIE. and then revive them again if I can.
I also have a set of cap-rotor-wires-and plugs on hand for both my trucks at all times. both are due, I do cap rotor and plugs every 30K whether it needs it or not, and wires every other time.

Old 04-27-2019, 09:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
I do replace a bunch of parts over the years just because they are old. On my 92, I know the front control arm bushing on the pass side was shot.... a few days ago I replaced all 4 upper control arm bushings (hey the box I bought came with all 4, and I would have to get it realigned each time I changed just 1, and with 27 years and 224K miles it was just time. A lot of people would bitch about this part... I also replaced all 4 ball joints at the same time. Again it was just time. I've had ball joints go bad with ALOT less miles on cars that had a much easier life than this truck has had (at least over the 60K miles that it has been mine) and you guts would really think I'm nuts because today's project is 4 tie rod ends and rack bushings.... again I have 1 tie rod end (driver side inner) that has some play in it. but I am changing all 4. And I always spend the money on "the good stuff" I never skimp and get the "cheap line" unless I am in a bind and that is all that is available. But I usually go back and redo the job with "the good parts" as soon as I can. Tues it goes for alignment then as soon after that my 4 new tires go on.... I drive this thing at least 70 miles a day for work, I refuse to spend $50K+ on a new truck, I put too many miles on them too fast, I don't think I have spent $50k on ALL of the vehicles (to initially buy them anyway) I have had in 36 years of being a licensed driver. I drive them til they DIE. and then revive them again if I can.
I also have a set of cap-rotor-wires-and plugs on hand for both my trucks at all times. both are due, I do cap rotor and plugs every 30K whether it needs it or not, and wires every other time.
Drive it till the wheels fall out, bolt 'em back on, and drive it some more..... Yup, I subscribe to that theory as well. I think I have owned maybe 3 vehicles in my 42 years of driving, that were built in the same decade I owned them. (and some of them, that only lasted a few months....) I can't afford payments/insurance on a new vehicle...... At least, not till I win the lotto. I buy used, and EXPECT to sink a couple hundred into them immediately, to get them to a level of reliability I am comfy with. It's worked very well for me.

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor