1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Which year 5.9 computer for 96 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 09:00 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which year 5.9 computer for 96 swap?

Going to be doing a 5.9 swap soon. (I know I know vortec vortec vortec, ill explain why later) and need to know does the year matter for the 5.9 computer? Being there's cbus and security built in the newer then the truck i have. Or. Should I just get my current computer flashed for a 5.9 at the dealer?

I know the rest of the swap is plug and play after you swap oil pans. But, I wanna make sure I have the right plan on the computer. Thanks for the help..

Old 12-31-2017, 09:29 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Since you have a 1996, I'd use the current CPU and contact Flyin' Ryan Performance for a preset programmer.

RwP

Old 12-31-2017, 09:41 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by RalphP
Since you have a 1996, I'd use the current CPU and contact Flyin' Ryan Performance for a preset programmer.

RwP
the thought has crossed my mind but that's about $400 extra give or take. And worse comes to worse, ill just use my current ecm till I can make a decision. Though usually he doesn't like doing an 87 tune, which is all I want for now. Ill message him again and see what he says.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:46 PM
RalphP
Champion

Barring that, try to find a similar year (1996 ideally) RAM 5.9 ECU; but again, your stock should get it running (you'll just be pushing some of the parameters instead of being dead center when it's running JustRight.)

As in fuel trims being running + instead of right at 0 etc.

RwP

Old 12-31-2017, 09:53 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Barring that, try to find a similar year (1996 ideally) RAM 5.9 ECU; but again, your stock should get it running (you'll just be pushing some of the parameters instead of being dead center when it's running JustRight.)

As in fuel trims being running + instead of right at 0 etc.

RwP
yes I know. Just want to see if like 01 could work. Or just have the dealer flash my current one. Reason id like an 01 is mopar changed some of the tables for a bump in power. Up to 245hp amd 330' lbs of torque.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:36 PM
RalphP
Champion

The main problem is, most dealers could only use standard flashes; and there wasn't a standard 5.9 ECU for a Dakota for 1996.

OTGH, check the dealer rate; take that away from the tuner from Flyin'Ryan; and that's all his tuner actually costs you. His base price is $449 with the tuner; $200 without.

If you have a SCT tuner already, that doesn't have to be paid for again. Just make sure, if you buy used, it's no longer married to a computer/vehicle.

RwP

Old 12-31-2017, 10:48 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

The main problem is, most dealers could only use standard flashes; and there wasn't a standard 5.9 ECU for a Dakota for 1996.

OTGH, check the dealer rate; take that away from the tuner from Flyin'Ryan; and that's all his tuner actually costs you. His base price is $449 with the tuner; $200 without.

If you have a SCT tuner already, that doesn't have to be paid for again. Just make sure, if you buy used, it's no longer married to a computer/vehicle.

RwP
That's just it though, I don't have a tuner. And I could probably get my dealer to flash in a ram tune for the 5.9 and id be happy. I just want it to its full potential yet at the lowest cost. Having Ryan tune it just isn't in the cards right now. Have to see what the dealer says Tuesday.

Old 12-31-2017, 10:53 PM
RalphP
Champion

*nods*

I'd keep an eye open on Ebay, though; you never know when you might decide you want to start working on tuning yourself.

RwP

Old 12-31-2017, 10:55 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

*nods*

I'd keep an eye open on Ebay, though; you never know when you might decide you want to start working on tuning yourself.

RwP
thanks. Would still like to see my question answered though. Lol

Old 01-01-2018, 12:08 AM
RalphP
Champion

Heh.

Talk to Ryan also; he would know better than anyone else, I think, that you and I would have access to.

But my take is "Use current ECU with a corrective flash; dealer if possible, Ryan if necessary."

RwP

Quick Reply: Which year 5.9 computer for 96 swap?