1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 5.2 cranks but wont start at operating temp

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 04:06 PM
Bidder53
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 5.2 cranks but wont start at operating temp

Hello... I have 93 dakota 5.2, automatic 2 wd that ive changed all sensors ( i do mean all sensors) coil, etc. It starts right up with just a touch of key when cold and runs just fine until it gets up to normal operating temp... you turn it off maybe go into store... come out to start up and it will not start.... wait till it cools down and it starts up like nothing is wrong... it acts like its flooded... you can hold accelarator to floor board and it will start up but wont run just goes dead.. dont do this everytime but most times any information or advice would be appreciated...im lost

Old 01-01-2018, 04:47 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 439 Likes on 376 Posts

Bidder, I have a '93 Dakota, automatic, 5.2L as well. Bought it new and babied it to this day. 170,000 miles.

I had a similar (but different) problem than you. I'd drive to the store and she'd be all warmed up. Come out of the store and it wouldn't fire up. Nuthin. No crank, no clicks, no nothing. I'd drop it into neutral and she would fire back up right away (most of the time). Where we are different is that mine was infrequent and random until the end when it was happening most of the time. I finally figured it out. A bushing for the auto transmission came out and I was metal on metal and the linkage was just flopping around. When I put it in park the tranny lever didn't get pushed back all the way so the engine wouldn't sense it was startable. Why it didn't happen cold I have no idea. Only when it got warmed up. Get under your Dakota (left side) and inspect all your tranny linkages. They run from the side of the tranny all the way to to side of the truck. Make sure all the bushings are intact (not missing or cracked or chunked up). There are bushings from one end to the other.

First pix without bushing. Second pix w/bushing replaced. Third pix shows bushing (blue) on other side of the linkage (same rod). It was OK on my truck.

Check all the shift linkages.

Also, consider replacing your Neutral Safety Switch. I went thru a couple of those. Easy to change out and inexpensive part. Truck simply would not fire. Replaced switch and it solved the problem. Let me know if you need any help finding part numbers or repair tips.

Last edited by bronze; 01-01-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:31 PM
Bidder53
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much

Quick Reply: 93 5.2 cranks but wont start at operating temp