1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

"Y" pipe

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 11:10 AM
s/w theo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Y" pipe

Who makes a good low restriction "Y" pipe for a 95 5.2l reg. cab Dakota, at a reasonable price? I don't want one w/the compression bends. I want to keep it emissions legal if possible. Should bolt-up to stock location. Any one make these or should I have an exhaust shop make one. I plan on putting shorty headers on in the near future. Thanks

Old 02-25-2018, 11:25 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

JBA sells one, but I'm not 100% positive it's mandrel bent.

Here is Summit's listing for it: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/j...iew/make/dodge

It says 96+, but the main difference seems to be that Walker and others show a pre-cat in the factory Y pipe for a 95; this does not. (See if yours has that swelling on it also; my 1988 doesn't with the factory Y pipe, but all the aftermarkets show a precat.)

The Walker that is a 100% direct fit is compression bent.

You may be able to get the shop to make one to fit if they can mandrel bend; if you don't go for JBA shorties or a fit-identical, that's probably what you'll have to do anyway.

RwP

Old 03-04-2018, 03:04 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

just had the stock (and original) one off of my 92 as I just got done swapping the original trans out of it with 203K miles on it.... that one has a true 3" outlet, definitely bigger then the one on my '96.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:20 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
just had the stock (and original) one off of my 92 as I just got done swapping the original trans out of it with 203K miles on it.... that one has a true 3" outlet, definitely bigger then the one on my '96.
Yep; 92/93 were 3", 94 and up were smaller.

RwP

Old 03-08-2018, 02:39 AM
DAHEMIKOTA
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s/w theo
Who makes a good low restriction "Y" pipe for a 95 5.2l reg. cab Dakota, at a reasonable price? I don't want one w/the compression bends. I want to keep it emissions legal if possible. Should bolt-up to stock location. Any one make these or should I have an exhaust shop make one. I plan on putting shorty headers on in the near future. Thanks
If you are planning on putting on headers, I think they still come with a low restriction cross over. Mine did. I got them from Mopar Performance.

Quick Reply: "Y" pipe