1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need some help from the professionals.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 03:24 PM
viziers
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
Ok so there's a chance your off a tooth on the timing set. If your cam is off it can allow fuel to go back up into the intake and ignite. Even being off by one tooth can do it. There's also a chance that one of your injectors is sticking open a bit when the truck is running, usually caused by small particles of debris that get I to the injector. What happens is after the cylinder goes through combustion the cylinder is hot and if the injector hangs open too long the heat in the combustion chamber can self ignite the fuel. There's some videos online of people removing injectors and cleaning them out. I've never tried it so idk if it'll work

Iam positive the timing is not off as I double checked it before putting it back together uness what little slop in the new chain is causing it to be off? the only thing left to replace is the crank sensor and another O2 sensor.

vizi

Old 03-27-2018, 03:26 PM
viziers
Amateur

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
Honestly though, if it has 275k on it and is having issues.... I'd go grab a spare motor from a scrap yard for a few hundred bucks n swap them out so you can drive the truck while you have the other motor rebuilt the right way

Aww I can't give up on her yet... I have come this far and I am more determined to get it running right.

vizi

Old 03-27-2018, 04:21 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey switch your injectors in 6 and 8 with 2 and 4. See if the injectors are sticking open. If they are the problem might switch cylinders so you'll at least know. Clean the contacts on the inside of the dis cap and tip of the rotor too.

Old 03-27-2018, 07:51 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

7 seems low, compared to the rest... 135 is great for these engines, especially with that many miles...... but with your highest at 181, I wonder if those high cylinders are built up with heavy carbon deposits? they say your lowest compression should be within 80% of the highest. Youre right on the edge of that....
I don't remember seeing these engines "normally," with 180-ish compression even when closer to new. 150-ish seems more like it as I remember....
6 and 8 being wet.... probably flooding out.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:44 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're probably not going to find this suggestion to your liking, but you really should double check that you (or someone) didn't inadvertantly swap the plug wires on cylinders 6 and 8. Its an easy one to miss, and the engine will run despite the cross-over. If those plugs are wet, yet you have spark going to the plugs, follow those wires back to the distributor and be sure.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:21 AM
viziers
Amateur

Originally Posted by volaredon
7 seems low, compared to the rest... 135 is great for these engines, especially with that many miles...... but with your highest at 181, I wonder if those high cylinders are built up with heavy carbon deposits? they say your lowest compression should be within 80% of the highest. Youre right on the edge of that....
I don't remember seeing these engines "normally," with 180-ish compression even when closer to new. 150-ish seems more like it as I remember....
6 and 8 being wet.... probably flooding out.

They were not flooded out as the plugs were wet when I took them all out and unplugged the injectors before I started the compression test.. As for the not being the original owner I have no clue if the motor was ever rebuilt or replaced..When I had the heads off I didnt see much carbon deposits on them.

vizi

Old 03-28-2018, 01:23 AM
viziers
Amateur

Originally Posted by ragged89
You're probably not going to find this suggestion to your liking, but you really should double check that you (or someone) didn't inadvertantly swap the plug wires on cylinders 6 and 8. Its an easy one to miss, and the engine will run despite the cross-over. If those plugs are wet, yet you have spark going to the plugs, follow those wires back to the distributor and be sure.

I thought about that to and double checked all the wires just to make sure as i had the same thought that maybe I swapped them mistakenly... lol

vizi

Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

if the injectors are stuck then you wont need power to them to leak fuel.... and your fuel pressure will probably read low.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

whereabouts are you located? (sorry if I missed that info earlier in the thread)

Old 03-28-2018, 06:56 PM
viziers
Amateur

Originally Posted by volaredon
if the injectors are stuck then you wont need power to them to leak fuel.... and your fuel pressure will probably read low.
I took the injectors out and ran some brake cleaner through them in a homemade injector testor with 45psi and no leaks were found and ran the cleaner through them while they wer pulsating to try and clean any laquer that may have been in them.

vizi

Quick Reply: Need some help from the professionals.