1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Swapping 5spd to an auto. 1996 V8 Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 05:22 PM
SHAKEnBLAKE183
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping 5spd to an auto. 1996 V8 Dakota

I have a 1996 Dakota that I'm considering converting to an automatic for daily driver/ off-roading purposes. The previous owner swapped a 318 from a 1979 D100 into the tuck and it's mated to the stock 5spd. This was originally a V6 truck.

Is it possible to swap an automatic into this truck? If so, what transmission would work best? Is it worth doing, and what are my biggest challenges going to be?

Thanks for any insight!

Old 04-09-2018, 07:39 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

very possible to do so. what is purposes for the truck? is it gonna stay an off roader?
an A500/518 would be easiest to adapt to the truck and crossmember etc, just a matter of getting a mount for an auto instead of a stick. and you will have to cut the back driveshaft/lengthen the front one. I have done the opposite swap before.
Not much harder would be to put a 727 into it which would have been current when that 79 engine was made but not sure what T case you would use.
If you do this, PLEASE save the bellhousing on that trans from the v6 (I'd bet there is an AX15 in there being it was originally a 6 banger) as I could use it.
There was a guy looking for a 5 speed trans on here to replace one that needs an overhaul... wonder if you guys are in close enough prox to each other to work something out amongst yourselves?

Why do you want an auto? Keep the stick!!! I myself like driving stick better as a daily but usually get stuck with auto equipped trucks....

Old 04-10-2018, 12:54 AM
SHAKEnBLAKE183

Good info!

The purpose of the truck is to be a weekend off-roader that can drive itself to the trails maybe an hour away. Other than that it gets used for hardware store runs and hauling firewood and maybe the occasional dirt bike.

i just want an auto for the ease of use, especially off-road. I’ve wheeled both auto and manual jeeps and the auto is just so much easier on parts and smoother when trying to climb muddy rocks and things.

As far as the swap, if I use an A500, can I keep my current transfer case? I’m trying to keep it cheap. I’m thinking my best bet might be to just buy a donor truck with an automatic, that way it comes with all the interior parts for the swap as well (column shifter, floor bezels, etc) Heck, if I could find a V8 donor truck I’d even consider swapping the engine in too so I could be fuel injected and possibly work with the stock gauges.

Keep the ideas coming!

Old 04-10-2018, 05:50 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

The "V8 Donor" makes good sense to me; otherwise, anything more modern than a 727 will require some additional wiring to get the lockup and/or OD working.

If it's a 4WD A500/A518, you should be able to use the transfer case that comes with it; if not, yours may, or may not, work - I'd have to dig into exactly which one you have to figure out.

BTW - Welcome to the end of the 20th century! (Going EFI and auto, that is.)

RwP

Old 05-03-2018, 01:57 PM
SHAKEnBLAKE183

Originally Posted by RalphP
The "V8 Donor" makes good sense to me; otherwise, anything more modern than a 727 will require some additional wiring to get the lockup and/or OD working.

If it's a 4WD A500/A518, you should be able to use the transfer case that comes with it; if not, yours may, or may not, work - I'd have to dig into exactly which one you have to figure out.

BTW - Welcome to the end of the 20th century! (Going EFI and auto, that is.)

RwP
So how do i figure out what will work with my setup? I found a donor with a bad t-case; how do I determine if my t-case will mate with the donor transmission?

Old 05-03-2018, 08:38 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find out what's wrong with the tcase. If it's just bearings or something small grab a rebuild kit. They're cheap and a tcase rebuild isn't hard to do

Old 05-03-2018, 10:26 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
Find out what's wrong with the tcase. If it's just bearings or something small grab a rebuild kit. They're cheap and a tcase rebuild isn't hard to do
Aye, I second Azboyinmi's suggestion on the transfer case rebuild. It's an easy rebuild, with the possible exception of the rear bearing for the front output shaft; that one can be a challenge because it's only accessible from the front, you can't press it out. Otherwise, grab some snap ring pliers and you're ready to rock.

Old 05-03-2018, 11:00 PM
ragged89
All Star

Also, while the transfer cases will bolt up, there is a difference between the auto and manual cases. The input gear that slips over the transmission's output shaft is shorter on the automatics (or was it longer?). Anyway, they're different. Guess I'll need to look that up again.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,384 Likes on 3,124 Posts

Originally Posted by ragged89
Also, while the transfer cases will bolt up, there is a difference between the auto and manual cases. The input gear that slips over the transmission's output shaft is shorter on the automatics (or was it longer?). Anyway, they're different. Guess I'll need to look that up again.
Shorter on that autos.

That said, I don't think it causes any problems having the longer input on the auto. Plenty of wiggle room in there.

Old 05-04-2018, 04:58 PM
ragged89
All Star

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Shorter on that autos.

That said, I don't think it causes any problems having the longer input on the auto. Plenty of wiggle room in there.
Thanks for clearing that up. I've not measured the length of the output shaft on the auto, but if you say there's room I believe you. I just wonder why they bothered to manufacture a shorter input gear if the longer one fits?

Quick Reply: Swapping 5spd to an auto. 1996 V8 Dakota