1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Good set of replacement headlight housings

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:38 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
I thought the aero package had glass sealed beam headlights like vehicles had forever before they went to these stupid plastic pieces of crap we have now a days
Nope, the other way around.

RwP

Old 04-12-2018, 01:34 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had good luck with headlight lenses restorer. I usually do the inside and outside on 4x6 lights. Composite just sucks period and if you do crack them open, Wich is a p.i.t.a you have to make sure you reseal them really good.
but seriously tho.... Is there no aftermarket headlights out there that look like halos or projectors for a 93 with the aero package. I can find regular 4x6 halos all over eBay but I don't want to spend a couple of weeks doing trial and error fabrication.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:50 AM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
I've had good luck with headlight lenses restorer. I usually do the inside and outside on 4x6 lights. Composite just sucks period and if you do crack them open, Wich is a p.i.t.a you have to make sure you reseal them really good.
but seriously tho.... Is there no aftermarket headlight out there that look like halos or projectors for a 93 with the aero package. I can find regular 4x6 halos all over eBay but I don't want to spend a couple of weeks doing trial and error fabrication.
nope. There are zero off the shelf aftermarket headlight lenses for the aero design. That's why those who really want better lights get the sealed beam bezels from 91 trucks. Though some trucks up to 94 had them as ive found out.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:24 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time for another trip to the salvage yard.....

Old 04-12-2018, 04:56 PM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by volaredon
I go "bang for the buck".... not necessarily the cheapest or the most expensive. everything I am seeing is aftermarket not OEM Mopar. Mopar isn't the only company that had issues with them stupid composite POS headlight housings.
I'm all for saving money. but by buying bezels, that doesn't get me clearer headlights (that I can tell) if I were to go back to sealed beams then I'd have to get some headlight buckets and retainer rings somewhere. so in that case maybe a junkyard.....
I forget how long ago it was a year or two but I bought the Aero replacements from Rock Auto and they are still fine no yellowing. I think i posted something about it when I was looking. I don't do a lot of night driving.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:57 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,266 Likes on 3,013 Posts

I got new headlight buckets from AM-Autoparts..... The ones in my 96 are 8 years old now, and still look brand new. The ones in my 98 are about a year old, still perfect.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:32 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

well today I decided to put my new "made in China" (figures... boo/hiss) headlight housings on..... not happy. (at the same time I put a grille that I had in the attic on there that didn't have so many busted mounting tabs, and a better pass side bezel than what I had been running. )

Well the new ones I bought, the adjusters on the pass side won't turn the screws on the housings, (the one that goes to bottom just twists itself off the adjuster screw on the new headlight housing) and as I was putting the bezels back on, both sides the top of the headlight pushed inward about 1/2 an inch... I could pivot them both that way like the housing themselves were on hinges.
we;; as it turns out the adjuster assemblys are a cheap soft imitation of the originals, they are supposed to lock themselves to the housing itself, basically the adjuster itself is a big clip. The arms on the clip are not rigid enough to hold the headlight, push the top of lens backward and they pivot up// push the back of housing forward, they pivot down. so I am waiting as I type this for the sillycone RTV to dry so I can put my bezels back on..... cheap Chinese garbage. no name on the box, I think I got them from AM motorparts, they were about $72/pair, I got 2 sets because I want to replace the ones on the 96 as well..... JUNK JUNK JUNK

Quick Reply: Good set of replacement headlight housings