1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Good set of replacement headlight housings

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 08:56 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Good set of replacement headlight housings

As title says. I need new ones for both my 92 and my 96. I looked at eBay and when I searched for 96 dakDak headlight I go to 16000 hits. Many were just the bulb +and countless options there)
i think I saw the 1st listing for what I need on about page5 or 6. No I didn't go through 16000 different listings. But of what I found there were used ones that looked worse than mine for around$40 ea + shipping to new ones for$100+ each, lots of listings for a pair for around$80/shipped some actually showed a picture of where the lens had a Dot approval cast right in, other claimed Dot approval but don't show where it says so on the lens.
Mostly brands I have never heard of, whether dot approved other not.

Who makes a decent one? I got 2 pair coming that shows the dot approval on the lens for about $82/pair incl shipping. Just kinda picked these by closing my eyes and pointing to the screen there were so many
And oh yeah I forget this one. Some said with aero package most didn't specify. How do I know if I have that or not?

Old 04-11-2018, 09:49 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts
Old 04-11-2018, 09:54 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the "aero" package is just referring to the type of headlight. Aero being the type with the bulbs being a separate piece from the lens housing and non aero being the type where the bulbs built into the housing and when u need to replace a light u replace the whole assembly. I've read alot that points to this. I'm wanting to find a set of Halo style lights but alot of the ones I've found say they're 4x6 lights for non aero package and won't fit my 93 which has the aero package. It's irritating when they just don't give enough details

Old 04-11-2018, 06:58 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

I thought the aero package had glass sealed beam headlights like vehicles had forever before they went to these stupid plastic pieces of crap we have now a days

Old 04-11-2018, 08:33 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not totally sure. My 93 has the aero package and my headlight lenses are composite

Old 04-11-2018, 09:36 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were you, now is the time to find the sealed beam set up and ditch those worthless composite lenses. Them swap in whatever headlights you want.

try car-part.com and see what's laying around. I'm admin of a facebook group where a few members have sets of what I'm talking about that's they'd sell. Theyre more then what your finding in the aero design, but they're also hardish to find. They have a much better light out put vs plastic junk. Especially when you swap head lights like many others have.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:51 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Also, search 95 dakota head light bezels, not housings.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:56 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

I saw tons of listings for bezels including the link to Rock auto above. My bezels are fine. I don't need those. my headlights are cloudy and shot.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:58 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

Originally Posted by volaredon
I saw tons of listings for bezels including the link to Rock auto above. My bezels are fine. I don't need those. my headlights are cloudy and shot.
Gotchya. Sorry. Then my opinion unless its just absolutely unbearable for you to look at is save your money. The amount of light you'll gain from New lenses isn't even close to being worth the price. Mopar screwed us pretty good with the plastic pieces of crap.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:04 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

I go "bang for the buck".... not necessarily the cheapest or the most expensive. everything I am seeing is aftermarket not OEM Mopar. Mopar isn't the only company that had issues with them stupid composite POS headlight housings.
I'm all for saving money. but by buying bezels, that doesn't get me clearer headlights (that I can tell) if I were to go back to sealed beams then I'd have to get some headlight buckets and retainer rings somewhere. so in that case maybe a junkyard.....

Quick Reply: Good set of replacement headlight housings