1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 Dakota 3.9 mag Sputters, or bogs down intermittently during accel

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 12:28 AM
Donovan Alexander Shovan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Dakota 3.9 mag Sputters, or bogs down intermittently during accel

Just replaced distributor wiring and plugs. I know I have a vacuum leak, but I don't think that would cause shuddering every 2-7 seconds during acceleration. Has a low Idle probably due to vacuum, 500-600. Doesn't ever stall and starts fine. I think it is this problem " https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ed-woohoo.html " Not sure though. Thoughts?

Old 04-20-2018, 01:31 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

If you know you have a vacuum leak, I'd fix that FIRST.

After all, as the engine hunts the optimum air/fuel mix, it'll sputter and bog.

Also, consider a new O2 due to the age of the truck. That's not this problem, most likely, but it's a good item to put on the Justin Case list. *grins*

RwP

Old 04-21-2018, 12:17 PM
Donovan Alexander Shovan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well she died on me yesterday. It was either the Catalytic converter or the fuel pump. The first mechanic I could sputter to suggested the cat. However, I've been in a truck with a broken fuel pump ground strap. Literally had to jump up and down in the bed to keep the wires rubbing against eachother. I thought the loss of power felt like bubbles in the fuel line.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:56 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Go ahead and follow Ralph's instructions he is very knowledgeable he will help you diagnose.
There are a couple ways to check the CAT. If it runs use a point and shoot temp gauge and it should be 30-100 degrees hotter at the back end of the CAT than it is at the front when it is up to temperature. Or you can whack it with a rubber mallet and see if that has an effect. If things improve you should replace it. I went with the whole exhaust from the Ypipe back from Rock Auto. It was cheaper than the price of just the CAT at a local shop and that included a new CAT and larger bore exhaust pipe. I put it on myself. I had to get a couple extra U bolt clamps.

Quick Reply: 95 Dakota 3.9 mag Sputters, or bogs down intermittently during accel