1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

whining while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 09:14 PM
jackson1371
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whining while accelerating

Ive got a 1996 dodge dakota V8 4x4, whenever i get up to highway speeds, about 55-60 mph, when i hit the accelerator it makes a whining sound and will stop the second you let off the accelerator. this only happens when im traveling at highway speeds and makes no noise at all when driving around town at city speeds. It sounds like its coming from somewhere in the front end of the vehicle. any suggestions on what i should start checking and troubleshooting?

Old 04-25-2018, 09:19 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Probably a bearing thinking about going bad......

Old 04-25-2018, 09:24 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I would agree. Wheel bearing or a CV axle.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:11 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

output bearing in trans tailshaft (did mine with rest of trans still in truck) or a rearend bearing

Old 04-26-2018, 12:21 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jackson1371
Ive got a 1996 dodge dakota V8 4x4, whenever i get up to highway speeds, about 55-60 mph, when i hit the accelerator it makes a whining sound and will stop the second you let off the accelerator. this only happens when im traveling at highway speeds and makes no noise at all when driving around town at city speeds. It sounds like its coming from somewhere in the front end of the vehicle. any suggestions on what i should start checking and troubleshooting?
If its due to something in the drive train the sound can "travel", making it difficult to tell where its coming from. Generally a bad bearing will make noise when its under load, so think about which parts are coming under a load when you accelerate at highway speed. Transfer case tail shaft bushing, rear-end bearing, even a rear wheel bearing could be the cause. Is this an automatic, or manual? If you keep the same highway speed but drop down a gear and try it, does the sound change? If so, it could be a trans bearing. If not, the tailshaft or something aft of that is more likely. If you quickly change lanes when its making the noise does the sound change? If so, it could be an axle bearing.

If the sound is truly coming from the front, check to see if anything is loose or rubbing up there. If all looks OK, jack the truck up (be safe, use a jack stand) and climb underneath. Shake the rear driveshaft at the front. If you can feel slop without trying too hard, your tail shaft bushing could be worn.

The following users liked this post:
TheDodgeBoi (01-01-2022)
Old 04-29-2018, 12:56 AM
DAHEMIKOTA
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was whining when I accelerating so I made the wife stay home and the whining stopped.

The following users liked this post:
TheDodgeBoi (01-01-2022)

Quick Reply: whining while accelerating