1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Transmission issue and valve body

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 12:50 AM
logankarll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue and valve body

Hey guys, having a issue with the transmission on my 95 dakota. Was helped on an earlier post about where to start and determined that i needed to change fluid and filter as well as adjust the bands. When i opened the oil pan for the trans i found one of the band anchors in the oil. Iv found out from other posts that i should be able to just pull the valve body out and put back the anchor and adjust it normally, given that the band is not to worn or broken.

Iv got the valve body mostly out. Im having a hard getting the linkage and sensor on the drivers side off. I cant seem to find any detailed info about how exactly to get them off. other than saying to remove them, Details on this step seems to be mostly skipped everywhere iv looked. I did'nt plan on getting this far into it haha but just the two things to remove now so i can replace the anchor. (hopefully its as easy as that)

Does anyone have a good place to look for details for can tell me how to go about removing them? The sensor for sure seems breakable and id like to avoid having and unneeded costs. Any help with be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Truck is a 1995 Dakota, club cab 4X4. 5.2L. Transmission is a 46RH i believe

Old 04-30-2018, 07:59 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

There are videos on youtube for complete rebuilds, check out a few of those, they will undoubtedly cover the parts you are having fun with.

Old 04-30-2018, 01:49 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by logankarll
Hey guys, having a issue with the transmission on my 95 dakota. Was helped on an earlier post about where to start and determined that i needed to change fluid and filter as well as adjust the bands. When i opened the oil pan for the trans i found one of the band anchors in the oil. Iv found out from other posts that i should be able to just pull the valve body out and put back the anchor and adjust it normally, given that the band is not to worn or broken.

Iv got the valve body mostly out. Im having a hard getting the linkage and sensor on the drivers side off. I cant seem to find any detailed info about how exactly to get them off. other than saying to remove them, Details on this step seems to be mostly skipped everywhere iv looked. I did'nt plan on getting this far into it haha but just the two things to remove now so i can replace the anchor. (hopefully its as easy as that)

Does anyone have a good place to look for details for can tell me how to go about removing them? The sensor for sure seems breakable and id like to avoid having and unneeded costs. Any help with be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Truck is a 1995 Dakota, club cab 4X4. 5.2L. Transmission is a 46RH i believe
Are you talking about the rooster tail linkage? There's a clip that's made that helps remove it without the ball flying away. But as mentioned there are two very good a500/a518 rebuild series on YouTube that show every part of removal. Search for 42rh or a500 rebuild.

Old 04-30-2018, 03:43 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

No not the rooster comb, he won't have to mess with that but the linkage outside of the case above it. There is a 1/4" bolt (7/16 wrench head) on each lever that needs loosened up, then pry the levers upwards might have to walk them off. Pry ahead, pry behind, repeat. The neutral switch unscrews takes a 1" thinwall socket. The OD solenoid plug is just held in by 2 O rings, as you lower the valve body you might have to tap on it a bit. That job ain't bad on a lift but absolutely sucks laying on your back. Then you have the accumulator that will fall out on the passenger side, ama the park pawl rod that goes towards the back. You can undo the E clip on the rooster comb but it takes a bit to get to. IvI' done that job more than once, it gets a little easier after the 1st couple of times.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:09 PM
logankarll
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

Hey thanks guys for the help. Got the valve body out last night and found the band is not broken, the anchor just fell out.

When pulling it out i was trying to get the electrical pin that goes through the case to free up and when it finally did i dropped the whole valve body into the oil pan. So now im unsure if there is anything other than the two springs to go back in. I see one check ball . is there suppose to be anymore?

Old 05-08-2018, 06:26 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One check ball? Did the valve body seperate into two halves? Man I shoulda warned you about that. Yeah, there's supposed to be more than one ball .can't remember an exact count tho. That's not good. I don't have a service book for these tranny's handy.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:42 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's definitely more than one check ball, but I don't think you separated the valve body, so the ball you're referring too is the one on the rooster comb. Inside the valve body there are several metal and one plastic check ball.

This series is pretty good on tear down....About the 25 minute mark of Part I talks about the one ball you found.

Quick Reply: Transmission issue and valve body