1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Wipers wiped out!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 06:18 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

well I just had this issue with my 92.... pass side wiper would stop about halfway down and started to swing farther and farther to the driver side, yesterday on way home from work, it prevented the driver side one from completing its sweep down, and bound them both up....
I stopped and unbound them, then pushed the pass side one all the way down, and it finally stayed there.... leaving me with 1 wiper working for the rest of the way home. I went to the dealer and bought the whole bag of bushings they had (I have another Dakota, a 78 Fury and my son's 3 trucks that take the same ones)
Today I pulled it apart and found out that though my original bushings had some play in them, but the pass side wiper pivot had come apart, the splined part came loose from the rotating shaft. Junkyard closed for day by then (only open til noon on Saturday)
So..... I pulled the wiper transmission out, separated the wiper pivots from the rest of the linkage, and welded the splined part back to the shaft, had to be careful since that shaft that the wiper arm splines to runs in a plastic housing, I had to trigger the MIG so it didn't get too hot so as to melt that plastic housing.... take the arm off and you can see the top of the splined part, and its shaft in the center of the splined part. Weird, because the driver side splined part is pinned to the shaft, pass. side was not. so I welded that together, dropped it in a bucket of water, made a few more tacks, dunked it then put the wiper transmission all back together with new bushings. The wiper train on that truck has never been so tight, that passenger side was never consistent as far as where its stop point at the bottom of the window is...… I had pulled the arm off and moved it a tooth or 2 a few times recently.....
seems like I had the same thing happen on my old 93, I had gone to the junkyard and gotten a whole replacement wiper transmission for that one when I had it.

another wiper related issue on the 96.... the clips that hold the squirter nozzle into the cowl on the pass side are busted, so it just kind of lays there at an angle and squirts more of the driver side.... when at the stealership yesterday they said that was "discontinued" o I am either gonna have to find some NOS (EPay?) or rob some the next junkyard trip, or try and find something aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Wipers wiped out!!