1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

95 Dak LED headlight kits?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 07:28 PM
Donovan Alexander Shovan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Dak LED headlight kits?

I found a 9004 kit, but the websites tool said it wasn't compatible. Is this a mistake? I don't see any reason it shouldn't fit. *edited* I checked the entire list and it is compatible with 95 rams, vans, and caravans.

Last edited by Donovan Alexander Shovan; 05-19-2018 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:28 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

If your Dakota is 9004 based, you can try it.

In GENERAL, most LED PNP kits may produce more light, but it's not useful light; the light source is off the focal point, and just even worsens the light out pattern.

I'd recommend new headlamp housings first, and good quality halogen 9004 bulbs, instead of playing around with LEDs for headlights.

RwP

Old 05-19-2018, 08:37 PM
Donovan Alexander Shovan

The lights I am looking at are 4 sided and should be spread properly by my housing. My factory halogens produce next to nothing. So anything will help

Old 05-19-2018, 08:39 PM
Donovan Alexander Shovan

It's terrible I may as well not have lights. All they are good for is letting others see me at night. They do not produce enough light to help me, and I have perfect vision.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:41 PM
Donovan Alexander Shovan

Hah if you're from Northwest LA I'm pretty sure you know my last name

Old 05-19-2018, 09:19 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

It doesn't ring a bell, no.

But then, a lot of names don't *grins*

But if you think they're bad NOW, try LEDs. They'll be a lot brighter, but won't actually light anything up, because they're off focus.

If you want more useful light, consider a HID reflector upgrade.

Also, again, try new headlamps; so many of those headlights are fogged and yellowed, and of COURSE they don't work worth crap. Also, try new bulbs; even the longer life OEM bulbs have life spans of about 1,000 or so on hours. The "expiration" is when they hit something like 50% or 75% output. Try new bulbs also; for 9004, the current "best bet" is probably the Philips Racing Vision. https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...-halogen-bulbs Switching from Hella 9003s to Nightbreaker 9003s yielded a 150% output over the Hellas. Shucks, the Nightbreaker highs at 60W are better than the 100W Hellas!

RwP

Old 05-20-2018, 10:52 AM
Cash68
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Donovan Alexander Shovan
I found a 9004 kit, but the websites tool said it wasn't compatible. Is this a mistake? I don't see any reason it shouldn't fit. *edited* I checked the entire list and it is compatible with 95 rams, vans, and caravans.
Don't do it. LED headlights are horrible uless they are a factory designed option. They will look bright when looking at the car from the outside, but they will NOT throw light down the road.

Get Philips Xtravision bulbs, or a bulb that produced more lumens than stock, and relay your headlights so you don't melt your headlight switch.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:15 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash68
Don't do it. LED headlights are horrible uless they are a factory designed option. They will look bright when looking at the car from the outside, but they will NOT throw light down the road.

Get Philips Xtravision bulbs, or a bulb that produced more lumens than stock, and relay your headlights so you don't melt your headlight switch.
Ralph & Cash68 are right on, aftermarket LED's don't include a large part of the visible light spectrum, and the light is often so dispersed it gets lost in a fog, so to speak. They may shine bright but not enough of the light is coming back to your eye to illuminate objects.

Clouded lenses are a big problem, regardless of the light source, so find a way to fix that first. Replace them or polish them. When you've tackled that, there's a good upgrade you can do that will brighten your lights and make your headlight switch last much longer. Basically your going to take the 12vdc headlight output from your switch (lo and hi beam), and feed to a couple of relays located under the hood somewhere, preferably close to the headlights. Run a heavier gauge wire, say 14ga, from the alternator or battery to the relays, and from the relays switched side directly to the headlights. This mod reduces voltage drop to the lamps, and generally brightens them significantly. Where you may have had say 11.8 volts reaching the headlights, now you'll have something more like 13.2 volts, and that'll make a noticeable difference.

Quick Reply: 95 Dak LED headlight kits?