1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Replace headlight switch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2018, 10:11 PM
Cash68
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replace headlight switch?

Is there a how to anywhere? I removed the lower dash cover under the steering wheel and the under dash part under the headlight switch, but there's still not really any access. What do I remove next?

Old 05-16-2018, 10:47 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash68
Is there a how to anywhere? I removed the lower dash cover under the steering wheel and the under dash part under the headlight switch, but there's still not really any access. What do I remove next?
You can also remove the instrument panel cover (eight torx head screws, tilt the column down if it's tilt, and unlock the gearshift and shift into 1 if it's auto to pull it off easier), then you can reach in there to the button to release the headlight switch ****. After that it's a lock nut on the headlight switch.

It's tight and snug, no doubt, but my fat short fingered hands can do it.

RwP

Old 05-17-2018, 10:20 AM
Cash68
Professional

lol those torx screws are real? I thought they were molded into the dash itself.

Old 05-17-2018, 03:26 PM
RalphP
Champion

They're real.

Have you bothered picking up a factory service manual yet? Chrysler had Bishko printing them; you can find a few of them as PDFs in the FAQ here, others can be found on Ebay, RockAuto, or even other web sites.

I'd suggest one of those for you as you're working on your truck.

RwP

Old 05-20-2018, 11:10 AM
Cash68
Professional

Thanks, I found the manual in the FAQ.

Got it. Had to replace the headlight connector as well; it was melted into a pile of garbage. Thanks for whoever suggested ordering both parts. The one part that tripped me up was I didnt see hte release button on the headlight switch to release the ****, but after that it was smooth sailing.

After a few hours of butt splice crimps and heat shrink, I now have working marker lights and taillights again. Thanks guys! I'm going to relay my headlights in the future to prevent this much power from going through the switch.

Old 05-20-2018, 11:20 AM
RalphP
Champion

Relay as soon as possible; that much current isn't really ideal through a butt crimp splice, but should be soldered and heat shrunk.

RwP

Old 05-20-2018, 09:34 PM
ragged89
All Star

Originally Posted by Cash68
Thanks, I found the manual in the FAQ.

Got it. Had to replace the headlight connector as well; it was melted into a pile of garbage. Thanks for whoever suggested ordering both parts. The one part that tripped me up was I didnt see hte release button on the headlight switch to release the ****, but after that it was smooth sailing.

After a few hours of butt splice crimps and heat shrink, I now have working marker lights and taillights again. Thanks guys! I'm going to relay my headlights in the future to prevent this much power from going through the switch.
Relays are a great idea. Not only will it save your switch, if done properly you'll have brighter headlights too.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:33 PM
RalphP
Champion

Originally Posted by ragged89
Relays are a great idea. Not only will it save your switch, if done properly you'll have brighter headlights too.
And here's a really strange thing: If they're halogen bulbs, they may last longer at the higher voltage (since the higher voltage runs heavier into the halogen replating action ... )

RwP

Old 05-20-2018, 11:40 PM
ragged89
All Star

Originally Posted by RalphP
And here's a really strange thing: If they're halogen bulbs, they may last longer at the higher voltage (since the higher voltage runs heavier into the halogen replating action ... )

RwP
But wait, there's more!

Regarding the halogen replating thing, I hadn't heard that before. That's interesting, all told its almost crazy NOT to do the relay mod.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:52 AM
RalphP
Champion

The math and formulas used by chemists can be hairy, but here's a quick explanation:

http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/rbf/CV...ogenCycle.html

The Halogen Cycle

Some incandescent lamps contain a special gas called a halogen.Halogen lamps can give off more light than standard incandescent lamps because they operate at higher temperatures. The higher temperature also means that the light is whiter. The molecules of the gas perform a service called the halogen cycle which permits the higher temperature.

The halogen gas does it job by catching atoms from the filament which are driven from surface by the high temperature. In standard incandescent lamps those atoms collect on the glass and can be seen as the black deposit in an old lamp.

If a halogen gas is present in the lamp with a tungsten filament then the atoms which are driven off combine with halogen molecules. Instead of collecting on the lamp wall, the tungsten atoms stay attached to the halogen gas until they are returned to the filament where the tungsten and halogen are separated. The tungsten is deposited on the filament and the halogen gas is free to circulate, again available to intercept a tungsten atom.

Because the atoms return to to the filament, halogen lamps can be used at higher temperatures in spite of the fact that the heat causes atoms to leave the surface at a faster rate.
RwP

Quick Reply: Replace headlight switch?