1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93' Dakota Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 08:25 PM
MoparKindaMan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93' Dakota Build

This is my 5.2l Dakota I bought a few months back for $1000 and just got it to my place about a week n a half ago and I thought it would be fun to upload my build progress and have yall help me along the way! the only things ive done to it so far is put in a new transmission, take out that annoying-*** buzzer, cleaned it out & gotten rid of the stains and installed a small center console but thats basically it. Some of the main things I want to do is put on a 3in lift on it, new paint job (thinking a dark silver would look nice), new wheels, and possibly a small tint and some performance parts (nothing too crazy) but yea let me know what yall think and your opinions on what to do and what not to do, im interested as to what you have to say, thanks for checking it out!

Old 05-25-2018, 09:59 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Question: Do you still have that "annoying-*** buzzer"? Mine has quit, and I'm actually looking for one (if for nothing else to remind me to TURN THE DANG HEADLIGHTS OFF!!)

RwP

Old 05-26-2018, 06:54 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Thats a nice looking truck!! FWIW we love build threads!!
For the lift, I believe you will have to do a body lift......
No one makes a suspension lift for first gen's anymore
You can turn up the front torsion bars using a different key, but personally I would not. IMO this causes all kinds of suspension problems
Performance
You have the larger exhaust manifolds already (92-93)
As far as I can tell, no one makes long tube or mid tube headers for a 4wd v8 first gen dakota... only short tube.
1.7 roller rockers will give a small boost in power
There is or was a mopar performance computer for the early magnum engines..... I think ragged 89 is running one.

Good luck and I look forward to your post!!

Old 05-26-2018, 08:48 AM
MoparKindaMan
Default @RalphP @93ragtop

I do actually still have that buzzer, Ralph, if you would like you can email me and I can mail it to you. And 93 ragtop, thanks for the input buddy! For the lift I was thinking 2" blocks in the back and 3" torsion in the front to level it out. A buddy of mine did a torsion key lift and he hasn't had any problems with it so I'mma give it a try and see. Also I don't know too much about what performance upgrades I can do to it but I'll be searching around the internet for anything I can get my hands on haha

Old 05-26-2018, 11:45 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

This is just my opinion, but on performance, I would find a decent 5.9 shortblock, re-ring, bearings, gaskets. Then use your heads and cam. Personally, I believe a lot more power can be picked up in the cam, and different heads, but that is going to require re-tuning the computer, which is not a option on the pre 96.
Not meaning to start a flame war, but these trucks sure are a lot harder to modify then a chevy.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:28 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

5.2 or 5.9, get a set of Engine Quest heads, use the stock cam and a set of 1.7 rollers, and you'll be within what the computer can do. (If you got 5.9, grab a RAM computer from a 5.9 equipped truck; the 5.2 may not quite adjust for those changes.)

Open the exhaust up a bit (high flow cats, low restriction mufflers, stock size for a 1993.)

If you want the tone, get a set of JBA shorty headers and the JBA Y-pipe; it won't add much if anything to the power, but they do add to the sound

I'm running a Thrush glass pack; with the standard exhaust pipe, I rather like the sound. YMMV on that, though.

RwP

Old 06-01-2018, 08:25 PM
MoparKindaMan

Ok so do y'all happen to know how to fix a twitchy fuel gauge? When I first started her up it's fine but as soon as I start driving the gauge starts flickering. Also I'm currently working on replacing my damaged seatbelts and taking out my drupy headliner so if your interested in seeing that on this thread I'll surely post some pics, just let me know

Old 06-01-2018, 09:19 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MoparKindaMan
Ok so do y'all happen to know how to fix a twitchy fuel gauge? When I first started her up it's fine but as soon as I start driving the gauge starts flickering. Also I'm currently working on replacing my damaged seatbelts and taking out my drupy headliner so if your interested in seeing that on this thread I'll surely post some pics, just let me know
is it going empty then reading? Likely the the float assembly in the tank needs cleaning or adjustment. There's a copper wiper arm that slides along another copper strip that varies the resistance to the gauge. If it's worn, dirty or out of adjustment you could be losing contact as the fuel sloshes around. It's an easy fix but requires dropping the tank or lifting the bed to get the fuel assembly out.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:08 PM
MoparKindaMan

Thanks for the information on the fuel gauge, I haven't gotten to it yet but there is another problem I'm hoping y'all can help me with. The used transmission I put in it shifts gears smoothly going up, but every now and then there's a knock when shifting back down from second gear to first gear. The first time it happened, it was awful. I thought the damn thing exploded! But it keep chuggin along. Since then, it's happened a few times but not as severe as the first hit. I'm hoping it's just getting set in or something but let me know what you think and what I should look out for. I'm just hoping I don't have to tear down the tranny or get a whole new one!

Old 06-11-2018, 03:58 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How was the used tranny stored and for how long? If it has old fluid in it that's partially turned to varnish,then your servos/valves could be sticking. You might drop the Pan and Valve body and give it a good flushing.

Quick Reply: 93' Dakota Build