1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Broken Coil Front Spring - Where to get

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:14 PM
dobaroy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WolfStar, just wondered how you made out with your installation. We are having a tough time getting the coils installed.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:28 AM
WolfStar
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dobaroy
WolfStar, just wondered how you made out with your installation. We are having a tough time getting the coils installed.
Hello,

I know this post is super old but I was wondering if you got the coil spring installed. I bought the springs, but got distracted with a lot of personal things going on and they sat in my garage for over 2 years. I need to replace the springs to get this vehicle past a provincial inspection. If you are still around, let me know how it worked out. I know they are not super easy and there's a Miller DD-1278 tool to compress them that helps.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:29 PM
dobaroy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WolfStar, good to hear from you. We finally installed them ourselves and like you say, it was NOT an easy job, hope to never have to do that again. We did get a good compression tool but make sure you don't put the tool too high up on the spring as the spring goes into a sort of a tower and the tool gets caught up there if you go too high. Good luck with the install and hope to hear back from you. If you have any other questions just write to us.

Old 08-11-2020, 12:41 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

I used a through the hole installation tool on my 1988 when I rebuilt the LCA, and I put the top piece through the shock hole in the frame, using that as my top to compress against.

Worked a treat for me.

YMMV, natch.

RwP

The following users liked this post:
dobaroy (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 07:58 PM
WolfStar
Professional

Originally Posted by dobaroy
WolfStar, good to hear from you. We finally installed them ourselves and like you say, it was NOT an easy job, hope to never have to do that again. We did get a good compression tool but make sure you don't put the tool too high up on the spring as the spring goes into a sort of a tower and the tool gets caught up there if you go too high. Good luck with the install and hope to hear back from you. If you have any other questions just write to us.
Hi good to hear from you too. I didn't know if you were still around. Glad to hear it worked out in the end! Finding springs for this vehicle is tricky.

How do the Moog springs ride? How is the ride height?

I see there are certain places on line that sell the factory recommended Miller DD-1278 tool. I don't see how that works really though. It looks like a rod with a cone. I would expect some
sort of hook at the top to go around the spring.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:58 PM
WolfStar
Professional

Originally Posted by RalphP
I used a through the hole installation tool on my 1988 when I rebuilt the LCA, and I put the top piece through the shock hole in the frame, using that as my top to compress against.

Worked a treat for me.

YMMV, natch.

RwP
Any chance you have a photo of the setup you used?

Old 08-11-2020, 08:30 PM
RalphP
Champion

Nope, I was too busy trying to make it work.

But think of taking the spring compressor; put the bolt up through the top of the spring, and into the shock mounting hole, then the crosspiece, then the nut on the top. (Or maybe drop down through the hole, into the spring area; then feed the spring up on it. I forget which way I went.)

The frame is certainly stout enough; a long enough bolt in the spring compressor, and it'll be able to reach.

This also allows you to keep tightening up until it JUST reaches; then you can get the LCA on it, and a jack under the LCA to lift it up enough to drop the spring compressor out and put the shock in.

RwP

Old 08-11-2020, 08:56 PM
WolfStar
Professional

Originally Posted by RalphP
Nope, I was too busy trying to make it work.

But think of taking the spring compressor; put the bolt up through the top of the spring, and into the shock mounting hole, then the crosspiece, then the nut on the top. (Or maybe drop down through the hole, into the spring area; then feed the spring up on it. I forget which way I went.)

The frame is certainly stout enough; a long enough bolt in the spring compressor, and it'll be able to reach.

This also allows you to keep tightening up until it JUST reaches; then you can get the LCA on it, and a jack under the LCA to lift it up enough to drop the spring compressor out and put the shock in.

RwP
What type of spring compressor did you use? Miller DD-1278 or another one? Any chance you could find a pic for me on the internet of the one you used?

Old 08-11-2020, 09:55 PM
RalphP
Champion

It was a rental from O'Reilly's.

Let me check ..

This one.

RwP

Old 08-17-2020, 03:34 AM
WolfStar
Professional