1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Before i go and buy a brake booster....

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 07:40 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Before i go and buy a brake booster....

Hey fellers; my 94 brakes are bad. I'm still driving it but if i had to slam on my brakes i'd be in deep dodo. The brake pedal depresses down to the point where it's like i have no power brakes. As the pedal sinks, it's making a loud hissing/whooshing air sound. I can slow down with them but when i stop at the bottom of my hill. i got two feet on the pedal then it will jerk to a stop. Is it my booster? might i try replacing the check valve on the booster first or something else? thanks y'all.

Old 06-07-2018, 11:11 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Sinking pedal sounds more like a bad master cylinder or air somewhere (ABS module maybe). My money is on the master if there's no leaks.... No fluid leaks?

Old 06-08-2018, 08:43 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The hissing says the booster is bad; the msot common problem is that the master cylinder starts leaking at the seal, the vacuum booster sucks brake fluid in, the brake fluid rots the rubber, and presto, you have no power and a sinking pedal both.

I'd replace the booster, the master cylinder, and the check valve.

I'm not a fond proponent of tossing parts, but Brakes Is Important And Should NOT Be Cheaped Out On!!!

Also, better to spend a few dollars extra and get it all the first time.

(Hint from my experience: If you buy a new or reman'ed booster, paint it before you put it in the truck. I didn't, and mine looks pretty yucky; rusty enough to be unattractive, not rusty enough to worry about any failure.)

RwP

Old 06-08-2018, 09:01 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Originally Posted by tbugden
Sinking pedal sounds more like a bad master cylinder or air somewhere (ABS module maybe). My money is on the master if there's no leaks.... No fluid leaks?

Thanks for the response. I haven't checked for leaks but i will today as well as vacuum leaks. Get back to ya on the leaks.

Old 06-08-2018, 09:15 AM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Hey Ralph; some time ago, i'm just remembering, my MC fluid got really low of a sudden. That would go along with the idea that the booster maybe sucked it up. Oh boy, i can feel my poverty pedal sinking already

Old 06-08-2018, 12:35 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Found this online. Makes it look fairly easy. I'm with Ralph, if you can replace everything since you'll have it open anyway.

Old 06-08-2018, 02:57 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

I can get a $50 exchange credit on the booster making it around only $30 and the MC is like around 40 so, sigh, i can afford that. gotta wait on my mech friend to come help me. Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:32 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Might wanna spray some PB Blaster or something on the the caliper and rear drum bleeder screws right now just to make it easier on you guys, especially if it's rusty. It can also help to take a stiff brush and clean the dirt and loose rust around the bleeders so that the penetrating oil actually goes where you want it. If you break the bleeders off you'll be buying new calipers/wheel cylinders.

Last edited by tbugden; 06-08-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:41 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Thanks; i'm good on that; got all new stuff for that a short time ago

Old 09-06-2018, 09:22 PM
KevinSandidge
Veteran

Hey guys; just now got around to replacing that booster. It went in smooth and the brakes have power now BUT, when i push the pedal down about half way, it 'catches' on something or is rubbing on something or else somethings wonky about new booster and i can't figure what's up. Ideas? thanks

Last edited by KevinSandidge; 09-07-2018 at 09:35 AM. Reason: add description

Quick Reply: Before i go and buy a brake booster....