1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

I shoulda stood in bed ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 05:36 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts
Default I shoulda stood in bed ...

You ever have one of those days?

The days where you think you should have stayed in bed?

Yesterday, while driving the Dakota, the turn signal indicator decided it had erectile dysfunction.

That is, it just flopped in the breeze.

Turns out ... the tilt/interval wiper switch unit (that the turn signal stalk bolts to, and that has a cam surface for the lever that actually ACTUATES the turn signals) decided it was tired of being one piece, and decided to go bikini mode; i.e., an upper piece and a lower piece.

JB KwikWeld is applied while I hope it keeps it running long enough to get a replacement in.

RwP

Old 08-26-2018, 07:43 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
You ever have one of those days?

The days where you think you should have stayed in bed?

Yesterday, while driving the Dakota, the turn signal indicator decided it had erectile dysfunction.

That is, it just flopped in the breeze.

Turns out ... the tilt/interval wiper switch unit (that the turn signal stalk bolts to, and that has a cam surface for the lever that actually ACTUATES the turn signals) decided it was tired of being one piece, and decided to go bikini mode; i.e., an upper piece and a lower piece.

JB KwikWeld is applied while I hope it keeps it running long enough to get a replacement in.

RwP
Been there buddy. But is that the only misfortune that befell you today?

Old 08-26-2018, 08:56 PM
RalphP
Champion

Pretty much. Well, that, and managed to lose the nut that holds the steering wheel on. So I ordered two more today; I'll find the other one in a couple of days.

The pot metal that's broken is integral to the 4221903 wiper control switch. Which said switch is NLA, and doesn't show up at SMP or BWD or any other after market place. Le sigh.

Arizona Parts also doesn't list it.

I've found ONE online; I'll find out tomorrow if it's real, it's actual, and everything is satisfactual. :P

Or not.

I'll have to tear a few tilt columns apart in the boneyard, it seems. 87-90 tilt with intermittent wipers is the only sure match; a 1986 Daytona lists the same part, but I have no idea what other cars and trucks used it.

Save I don't think any other trucks did; the parts list shows different numbers for 88-89.

RwP

Old 08-26-2018, 09:27 PM
RalphP
Champion

I may be luckier than I thought; even if it IS NLA in all its forms.

According to a FMJ forum (from a for sale posting in 2017):

Windshield Wiper and Washer Switch with Intermittent Wipers and with Tilt Part # 4439026 (# stamped on part tag is 4373336
Part # is 4439026. Other part #'s superseded or the same as part # 4439026=4373336, 4221783, 4333489, 4439025, 4439063, 4333488, 4360094, 4439028, 4221903, 4221486, 4333999.
I may have a bit more luck finding one of the OTHER numbers.

RwP

Old 08-27-2018, 08:11 PM
RalphP
Champion

Good news!

My column guy says he thinks he has a few of the piece that's broken; he'll search through his Hell Box and I'll pull the column and take it to him.

RwP

Old 09-09-2018, 03:36 PM
RalphP
Champion

None of the broken piece, alas.

Silke Parts in Jacksonville FL has at least one - or had at least one! - of the wiper switches.

SILKE'S AUTO PARTS INC.
Phone # 904 737 8600
Found via PartsVoice.COM (see below)

Places to add for looking for parts:

http://rearcounter.com

http://partsvoice.com

Both have a collection of NOS part vendors; they show parts that my GoogleFu does not turn up anywhere else. They don't have IDENTICAL lists, so I'd search both. You DO have to have the original part number; thankfully, the Mopar parts listings are in the FAQ here for our trucks.

Don't forget also

http://arizonaparts.com

Brad's NOS parts had the "Quality Engineering By Chrysler Corporation" stickers to refresh my sill plates.

http://bradsnosparts.com .

Alas, you usually have to inquire via email what the actual price is. But that part is free, and comes with a picture in case there's been a horrible misunderstanding between the parts lists in the FAQ and the stocking at Brad's

I have learned more about finding NOS Mopar parts than I would ever want to know.

RwP

Old 09-20-2018, 01:36 PM
RalphP
Champion

So. Column is back from the column guy.

Today I will crack open my Gu'ald Profanities Book and see if I can curse in still another language

RwP

Old 09-20-2018, 03:31 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
So. Column is back from the column guy.

Today I will crack open my Gu'ald Profanities Book and see if I can curse in still another language

RwP
Maybe this will help? http://www.stargatehandbook.org/sg1/goauldlangmain.html

Old 09-20-2018, 03:33 PM
RalphP
Champion

"I didn't need that, but it helped!"

Column is in, but I need to snug bolts down. Also reset the set screws on the intermediate shaft - I had to disassemble it to get it all back together.

Plus wire it in.

Plus rebuild wiper transmission.

Right now, I'm about to get a shower and go make a few dinero to PAY for all this repair work.

RwP

Old 09-22-2018, 05:45 PM
RalphP
Champion

Bolts snugged, connectors (save for the interval wiper module!) connected (IWM is out so I can trace the circuit for future repairs, also in case they become completely unobtainium.)

Rain moved in as I was getting the old transmission out; I used my other spare one (!!) to lay out the bushings on the powder coated arms.

I'll have to put it in later when it's not raining.

RwP

Quick Reply: I shoulda stood in bed ...