1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Removing O2 sensor...is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:04 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why dont you just cut the cat out and put in a straight pipe

Old 10-10-2018, 11:53 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Well first I want to determine that it is the issue. I don't want to get rid of the cat if I don't need to.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:10 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 132 Likes on 124 Posts

You can get a point and shoot temp gauge at Home despot for $20. Well that is what it cost me a few years ago. Here's a simple test from the Walker exhaust wenbsite
"Using an infrared thermometer, check the temperature of the converter's front and rear weld rings, to ensure the converter has "lit off." Depending on their sizes, most converters begin to light off around 350º F, and are fully lit around 500º F.

Under normal conditions, the rear weld ring may reach temperatures which are as much as 150º F higher than the front weld ring. If the rear weld ring reaches temperatures in excess of 150º F higher than the front weld ring, the engine may have an emissions problem."

Old 10-27-2018, 03:19 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope you het it fixed. I need to mine for 1993 Dakota 3.9, but my problem is I can't find where the wire connects! It's jacked up now on stands, and I've looked all under and from above, but can't find where wire goes.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:44 PM
onemore94dak
Champion

Originally Posted by MacDak
Hope you het it fixed. I need to mine for 1993 Dakota 3.9, but my problem is I can't find where the wire connects! It's jacked up now on stands, and I've looked all under and from above, but can't find where wire goes.
The O2 sensor wire goes up over the transmission and the wire it plugs into goes up the fire wall too??? You should be able to see it from the driver side. Look at the new one to see the connector type.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:23 AM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, onemore. I reached my hand up over the transmission yesterday, but couldn't go far from underneath. I'll see if I can reach it from driver side under hood. The new Bosch I have is a simple plug in type. I've had the thing about 7 years, planning to try to replace it just because I must have way over 200,000 miles on her. I even bought the special socket, but can't find where I put it. Check engine light came on Friday for the first time ever, so since I already had the O2 sensor, I figured I might as well put it in, who knows, maybe that's why light came on? If light stays on, I'll take it to have code read... If, IF, I can figure out the wire!

Old 10-28-2018, 09:47 AM
onemore94dak
Champion

You should see it from underneath on the driver side. You need to read the FAQ page. There is a lot of info there. It explains how you can read your codes without a reader.
Stick keys in turn it on without starting it and off 3 times and the last time watch the check engine light. It flashes. with a short pause between the digits of each 2 digit code and a longer pause between codes. 55 is end of code reading.
Start another thread of your own if you need more on this.

Quick Reply: Removing O2 sensor...is it possible?