1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel injector constantly pumping into throttlebody.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:16 PM
DaveBulaw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injector constantly pumping into throttlebody.

Good morning, I was trying to find a forum that could help me with my 1995 Dodge Dakota. If this is not the right one please somebody point me in the right direction. If it is, I was hoping someone has seen this before. I went to start my truck the other day it's a 2.5 L with the overhead cam. As soon as I turn the key to the ignition run position, the fuel injector was just pouring fuel constantly into the throttlebody. You don't even have to start cranking the motor. When you unplug the injector connector, the fuel flow stops. When it's plugged in and pumping, it sounds like a relay is constantly opening and closing in the fuse box. Does anyone know why this might happen?

Old 11-17-2018, 03:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,166 Likes on 2,920 Posts

Ground side of the injector circuit is likely grounding out somewhere. Welcome to DF! Moving this to first gen Dak for ya.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:18 AM
DaveBulaw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I found the issue. One of the main ground wires on the back of the head fell down on the bell housing and in my installing it in the dark, I missed it the first go around. She purrs like a kitten now. The only issue left is that the radiator fan (electric) will not come on on its own. Only comes on if you unplug the coolant sensor. I tried a second coolant sensor from another working dakota and same issue. Going to put a new thermostat in it as well as radiator (it leaks) and engine flush and see if that fixes the issue. The original issue was it was ran out of coolant and blew the head gasket (guy I got it from, not me). I've since installed new head and valves, etc. No compression variation between cylinders, 140psi. Hope to get the cooling system fixed today and start driving.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:06 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

The fan won't come on until it hits what seems like an unreasonable temp to me. Quite often factory "ON" is 205F or so; sometimes 210F.

Or you can turn the A/C on and see if it turns on with the compressor demand.

RwP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel injector constantly pumping into throttlebody.