1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Tach Quit

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 08:07 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfen1086
Gotta have a dollar to waste LOL
Heh. I don't waste it, it goes back into the wallet after polishing the contacts

RwP

Old 11-27-2018, 01:46 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd recommend going to the junkyard and finding a truck with intact wire harnesses and buy them. Then go through it and fix all the original soldered connections and get them sealed up with heat shrink. Then swap out what you've got for the new harnesses and save yourself alot of headache. I rebuilt all the harnesses on my 93 and it was well worth it. Just an idea

Old 11-27-2018, 06:48 PM
Wolfen1086
Professional
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a feeling its a loose wire or bad connection somewhere because last year it would start off not working when it was cold outside then after 15 or so miles start working, this morning I left the driveway at 32F and it worked for about 2 minutes, basically until i hit 3rd gear
If that gives y'all any better ideas please let me know. I'm gonna pull and clean the dash contacts this weekend, then check the coil and the trans connections

Old 11-27-2018, 08:50 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Dude, the tach isn't CONNECTED to the coil; it's driven straight off the ECU.

It's also not connected to the transmission at all. AT ALL.

Spend your time there if you wish.

But eh, your time, not mine.

It goes from ECU --> Bulkhead connector --> Cluster Connector --> Tach Board --> Tach gauge.

(There may be another couple of connectors in there, I don't have the FSM for your year truck.)

It's not connected to the transmission (what, how would it indicate engine speed in neutral or park? Or through the gears?)

It's not connected to the coil.

RwP

Old 11-28-2018, 05:08 PM
Wolfen1086
Professional
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

So the tack goes straight to the ecu? OK that helps and shortens my looking around a LOT, thanks it also narrows it down to the dash board because I cleaned all the connections to when I first had the problem, which means all that's left is wires and the dash connector. But also my ecu doesn't control a few things, dipwip bypassed it for the IAC valve and O2 sensor, because the check eng light comes on when you turn the key but not if the IAC or O2 are bad, I know cause I changed the IAC and it fixed the idle problem and changed the O2 and the black smoke went away PLUS the cruise control actually worked for 3 weeks after that, I know their not related but its just strange that changing a O2 sensor makes cruise work on a dodge and when the door lock on a 05 Malibu goes out the heated seat wont go off LOL

Quick Reply: Tach Quit