1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Seating Arrangements On The Three Generations

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 12:24 AM
FredT
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seating Arrangements On The Three Generations

I have a '94 Dakota with extended cab & I LOVE the seating arrangement. Effectively I have a full width bench seat both front and rear. But the truck is getting to be high miles and a little weak and my thoughts have been drifting toward getting another Dakota - somewhat newer, lower miles, but with the same seating arrangement. But - slow as I am - I discovered that many (perhaps all) of the later models have a different arrangement. For example, many have a console between the two front seats, and some have rearranged the back seat to accommodate only two passengers. I was wondering: How can I find out what the seating arrangements for the 3 generations have been down through the years? I would REALLY like to retain the ability to haul my whole family (the wife and I AND 4 kids) in my pickup truck.... Thanks in advance for your info.... FredT

Old 11-28-2018, 10:59 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It's gonna be on a truck by truck basis because I'm quite certain front/rear bench seats were available throughout the Dakota range--however, as you discovered, many were optioned with bucket seats instead. So you just have to check when you're shopping.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

I wasn't aware the Dakotas of that era ever came with a bench rear seat. I didn't think there was enough room back there...... I suppose, if your kids are small...... (10 or less....) three could fit.... They better get along well though.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:44 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 02 sxt ext cab 4x4 had a full bench in the back. It's wasn't a full size bench, not enough room, but the bottom was 1 full length seat that lifted up for access to the under seat storage, it was just a bit narrower in width. However the front seat was 2 buckets. It wouldnt be hard to take the bench out of an older dak and out it in a second gen, you may have to do some drilling and make your own mounts ting points on the floor though

Old 11-29-2018, 12:46 AM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I wasn't aware the Dakotas of that era ever came with a bench rear seat. I didn't think there was enough room back there...... I suppose, if your kids are small...... (10 or less....) three could fit.... They better get along well though.
My first gen has bench front and rear and six seatbelts! Course the middle passenger in the rear has to lean forward otherwise there's not enough room for three normal shoulder widths. And the middle front passenger has a shifter in their crotch in the case of my 5 speed. I have driven with six people roughly two long miles. It is not comfortable for anyone.

Quick Reply: Seating Arrangements On The Three Generations