1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

front windshield removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 11:24 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default front windshield removal

Gotta pull the front windshield off the parts truck. I've done Chevy windshields before but that's about it. Any tips or tricks I should know about? Trucks already completely stripped down so I have full access to the entire windshield. I also need to remove the rear window for when I paint the truck, it's a slider. Is there any tricks to getting it out?

Old 11-27-2018, 12:33 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I hope that you're not doing this outside this time of year? If you are, the glass needs to be facing the sun while you work on it, I don't recommend removing glass during this time of the year but it can be done.

The least destructive method is to cut it out with a wire kit. Start a hole in a lower corner, slide the wire through and cut with a helper by sawing back and forth or do it yourself with two blocks of wood to wind the wire. I have done many by myself, it can be done. I don't think it's a good time of year to use a sawzall with a windshield blade, if you accidentally bump the glass too hard it'll break.

As for the rear window if it's the standard factory glass or assembly with a perimeter seal it's just a matter of pulling the seal around from the inside and then having someone catch it while you push it out. Start at the upper corners and work to the center. If you are doing it alone then open the slider and stick your arm through to catch it as you push it out.

Good luck!!

Steve

Old 11-27-2018, 01:30 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

Yep doing it outside, in Michigan, in this weather. Gotta get this cab cut apart so I can get working on the floor pan of my truck. I went and picked up a spool of windshield wire and I already made some handles for it. Wouldn't dream of using a sawzall.

Old 11-29-2018, 01:19 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
Yep doing it outside, in Michigan, in this weather. Gotta get this cab cut apart so I can get working on the floor pan of my truck. I went and picked up a spool of windshield wire and I already made some handles for it. Wouldn't dream of using a sawzall.
Wire cutting in the winter is the least destructive method. I've used sawzall with a spatula blade too but haven't tried it in the winter. VW actually installed a thin cutting line with their glass on the Passat back in 95-97 so you could cut it out by pulling the little ripcord. Ingenious actually but they haven't done it since then to the best of my knowledge.

Good luck!

Steve

Old 11-29-2018, 11:12 AM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

Well I'll be buying a new windshield. Pushed a piece of wire through to make a hole for the cutting wire and the glass instantly chipped. Safelite quoted me 215 for a brand-new windshield so I'll probably go that route. 30 year old glass is just too damn brittle. No biggie

Old 11-29-2018, 11:19 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by Azboyinmi
Well I'll be buying a new windshield. Pushed a piece of wire through to make a hole for the cutting wire and the glass instantly chipped. Safelite quoted me 215 for a brand-new windshield so I'll probably go that route. 30 year old glass is just too damn brittle. No biggie
Old glass very brittle, summer heat helps a lot though. Be careful with Safelite, their glass can sometimes be really substandard. I have had friends with Safelite glass installed and it did not fit well and had to have them back to redo it again. Factory glass fits the best!

Steve

Old 11-29-2018, 12:50 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I dunno, so far every Safelite windshield I've had put in has fit like a champ.

Side note: Anyone ever figure out why a new windshield is a rock magnet?

RwP

Old 11-29-2018, 03:35 PM
Azboyinmi
Veteran

@rwp It's because they're so SHINY!
ive never had any issues with Safelite except for a small chip in a windshield I bought a couple years ago, they went back to the warehouse instantly and grabbed another one, even took off the installation charge because I had to wait an extra 2 hours

Quick Reply: front windshield removal