1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Help in removing 92 Dakota upper ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:46 PM
rjrjack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbugden
When I did mine on my 4x4 I removed the control arm and put the ball joint flats in a vice and used a giant bar to loosen it by rotating the control arm itself. But it sounds like the 4x2 clearances might be a little tight for that from what you say.
That is an inventive way to solve your problem. But yea, a vice could not get a grip on the 4x2 upper ball joint...

Old 01-28-2019, 08:48 PM
rjrjack
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I look at tools as an investment too, though hopefully I won't have to use this one again =:^)...

Old 01-28-2019, 11:19 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

the 4wd Dakotas 87-96 take the same upper ball joints as the 2wds. . In my case, I have had my license for 35 years and have NEVER owned anything but a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep, and I have NEVER owned a FWD anything And won't. . and as a mechanic for a living, I have gotten my use out of mine. (though not so much lately) I did the front end in my 96, will probably have to in my 92 (219K miles and counting)
between these 2 trucks, my 78 Sport Fury, 80 Volare, and my son's 72 Fury, that we still currently own, these are tools that WILL get used again.
Back in the 80s there was a rental yard not far from where I grew up that had these sockets for rent back then it was like $5 or $7 a day.
I have also done these ball joints on some vehicles with a pipe wrench over the years. some lend themselves better to this than others.

Old 01-29-2019, 02:14 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rjrjack
I look at tools as an investment too, though hopefully I won't have to use this one again =:^)...
Likewise! But I have a bad habit of being impatient and coming up with ways to do things without the correct tools. Probably 80% of the time I can do it, but nearly always it wastes valuable time, and occasionally I break something else out of my impatience...not my proudest trait.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by tbugden
Likewise! But I have a bad habit of being impatient and coming up with ways to do things without the correct tools. Probably 80% of the time I can do it, but nearly always it wastes valuable time, and occasionally I break something else out of my impatience...not my proudest trait.
Don't feel like the lone ranger there. Its about a 15 minute drive into town, and when I am in the middle of working on something, I do not want to have to run into town for something I can maybe 'work around'..... Of course, the workaround generally takes longer than it would have to go into town, and like you, I usually break something else as well...... So, I have finally learned to bite the bullet, and NOT do that anymore. It's hard. Wonder if there is a 12 step program for it.......

Quick Reply: Help in removing 92 Dakota upper ball joint