1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1987 Dakota carburetor bowl vent location?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 05:22 PM
Jason Heidel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 Dakota carburetor bowl vent location?

I have an '87 Dakota that would turn over but not fire. I replaced the ignition coil, spark plugs and wires. Also replaced the fuel filter, which seemed to be clogged to the best of my knowledge. Still no improvement. It will fire momentarily if I spray starter fluid down into the carburetor, but immediately dies.
So, I have a few questions questions:
1) Would the fuel system need to be primed (has a mechanical fuel pump)? How best to do that?
2) I read about people pouring gas directly into the carburetor's bowl via the vent hole which would allow the engine to run long enough to allow the fuel pump to work as normal. However, I don't see/know where the vent hole is on the carb.
Can anyone help with this, please?

Old 01-25-2019, 07:08 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Well, is there any fuel coming into the pump? That is, if you disconnect the fuel line, and start a suction pump, will it pull gas?

Lines may be plugged still.

That would also serve to prime the fuel pump and the lines if they still need priming.

Second, if there's fuel coming into the pump, does any come OUT Of the pump? That is, the pump's diaphragm may be broken where it won't pump.

And of course the zeroeth question - you DO have gas in the tank, right?

RwP

Old 01-26-2019, 10:05 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Basically, I agree with Ralph.

What I would do different is, I would start with removing the air cleaner, open the choke and pump the throttle to verify you do not have gas in the carb. If you have gas, you should see a small stream squirt out..... The one thing you did not mention is, how long has the truck set, and how much gas is in the tank? If the gas is old enough, it will not run.

Athough probably not PC. I have taken a cap full of gas and poured in the carb to prime them. The cap being one off of a oil bottle. The motor will run for 1-2 seconds doing this, thus getting the mechanical pump moving faster then the starter will turn it.

Quick Reply: 1987 Dakota carburetor bowl vent location?