1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Anyone else adding USB ports?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 11:43 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm contingent IT work - that is, I'm the guy that gets called for the once-in-a-blue-moon.

I also travel. Used to travel a lot in a 150 mile radius - have done over 40,000 miles in a year before.

And due to where I live, there's spots that have only AT&T service, or have everything but AT&T; have only Verizon, or anything but Verizon; have Sprint, or anything but Sprint.

So I carry three of them.

And have used all three at the same time before - one call on AT&T, the Verizon as a hot spot, and another call on the Sprint phone. Oy vey!

BTW - when my phone rings, it's normally paying the bills

RwP

Old 02-05-2019, 06:49 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Hey Ralph, not meaning to get too far off topic, but I would like to hear your thoughts on dash cams....

Old 02-05-2019, 08:50 AM
RalphP
Champion

I have one that runs all the time the ignition is on. That good enough? *grins*

Hrm ... I've been through several cheap ones; the BIGGEST secret seems to be "Don't skimp on the microSD/TF card you use".

I can't find the ones I'm using now.

I have a friend who swears by his set, which set him back like $300. OTOH, he can record when I can't ...

But yes, I've grabbed a few nice videos with it. So far it's been unneeded; again, so far my seat belt's been unneeded

RwP

Old 02-06-2019, 01:41 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Hey Ralph. I looked at Crutchfield and they have a section on what to look for. FWIW last year I had a tractor trailer back in to me.... One of those cameras would have been nice!!

Old 02-06-2019, 10:27 PM
matt hudson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did the same but,

Originally Posted by glenlloyd
I like that for replacing the cig ligher but would still need to add one up above mirror and in the rear near the dome light OR back in the bed of the truck for a bed cap mounted camera.

Steve
Mine has a digital volt meter reading on it

Old 02-06-2019, 11:33 PM
RalphP
Champion

I have a friend who swears by his dashcam ... https://www.blackvue.com/dr900s-2ch/

Here's two videos off of mine, which is forward facing only:

Facebook Post

Facebook Post

*dry* I spent a whopping $30 on the dashcam, and $45 on the high speed MicroSD card. But today's dashcams tend to be much better.

RwP

Old 08-16-2019, 06:55 PM
RalphP
Champion

Addendum, since it's still my truck.

I finally got the RVinyl Blue Carbon Fiber dash overlay installed.

I also got the three, dual USB adapters installed.

Here's a pic of the passenger side cover.

RwP

Old 08-17-2019, 10:43 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 574 Likes on 520 Posts

Plenty of plugs with this one plus the three under it.

I'm in the process of winterizing my 2000 Escalade and I'm also cleaning up a lot of wiring issues from the kid who used to have it putting a "system" in it and then ripping it out when we traded. (He wanted my BMW that my knee couldn't shift anymore.) When he pulled the stock radio, the CD players didn't work anymore. A single in the dash and a 6 disc in the console. I'm making a place for a holster in the console and I'm replacing the in dash unit with a three unit set of a double USB charge port, 12 volt plug and digital voltmeter. I'm going to wire a relay to the accessory port to power it.

The Frog Follies car show is next weekend and I'll be hitting the swap meet section, which is where I got this last year. I can get all sorts of things that nobody else carries anymore. The national chains have run all the local parts stores out of business and now the prices are going up and small stuff, like cigarette lighter power plugs, are no longer sold. I've had to go with Fleabay for things like calipers as I can only buy them with the bracket locally. I'm not paying $6 for a bracket I don't need.

Quick Reply: Anyone else adding USB ports?