1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Engine Suddenly Quits

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 07:37 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 421 Likes on 361 Posts

My 1993 Dakota has an OBD1 scanner on-board. My check engine light never went on. I noticed in the code list that a code 11 is, "Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor". So if I had a problem with my cam or crank sensors I would think it would light up my Check Engine light. No?? I checked for a code anyway and there was none.

I'm more baffled now.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
My 1993 Dakota has an OBD1 scanner on-board. My check engine light never went on. I noticed in the code list that a code 11 is, "Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor". So if I had a problem with my cam or crank sensors I would think it would light up my Check Engine light. No?? I checked for a code anyway and there was none.

I'm more baffled now.
There may be pending codes, which won't turn on the CEL. Don't know if your scanner will display those for you.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:21 PM
crazyjerry
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

most of the old mechanics that had a clue probly have long since retired. the new generation are just code readers. you may be better off trying to fix it yourself

Old 02-14-2019, 12:28 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There may be pending codes, which won't turn on the CEL. Don't know if your scanner will display those for you.
You are correct. I learned that a few days ago when I got a list of the codes. Some codes are stored that trigger the check engine light others do not trigger the check engine light but are stored. I did the ignition bump three times and found one that was hidden. It had to do with my AC Clutch relay and it was there because I had removed the relay and put it on my Fuel Pump circuit. It went away after I put the relay back.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:36 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Did you already take it to the dealer?
If not I'd consider just replacing the ignition switch and cam sensor. It will be a lot cheaper than the hourly rate to diagnose your truck at a dealer who probably doesn't have any old mechanics who remember these old rigs and their peccadilloes. the OBDI computer system already told you everything it will tell them.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:59 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

I have not taken it to the dealer for the reason you point out. I don't think they can do any more than what I can do. Beyond what I already have done I guess I'm in a wait and see mode. It's possible the ignition switch or a cam sensor or crankshaft sensor or some other sensor goes and leaves me stranded. But I have AAA so it would amount to an inconvenience more than an expense. I can go ahead and spend several hundred dollars and the time to change out all those things and still not fix the problem. I almost wish whatever was wrong would just blow up and stay blowed up so it is a no brainer fix. Meanwhile, I don't know what use my built-in OBD1 scanner is if it cannot identify my problem.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:38 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

The distributor pickup coil https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...ckup+coil,7176
and Ignition Starter Switch https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...er+switch,4700
Are about $30 plus delivery.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:43 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

@onemore94dak, this is excellent information and many thank yous for the links. Neither one of these repairs is a big deal. Simple stuff and not expensive. I think you talked me into it and probably worth doing if for no other reason than precautionary. I now wish I had done the dist pickup coil when I did the tune up the other day while I had the dist cap off . Oh, well. Let me ask you this...given the problem description in my original post, is there a reason why you believe these two replacements are a better gamble than, say, the crankshaft position sensor? Thanks again.

Last edited by bronze; 02-14-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:02 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker

I'm going with what I have read on here by others with similar problems. The Dist Pickup is the camshaft position sensor.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:06 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I'm going with what I have read on here by others with similar problems. The Dist Pickup is the camshaft position sensor.
I'm sorry, I discovered I wrote it wrong (edited it before discovering your reply). I meant to ask why you believe the dist pickup and/or the ignition switch was a better point of attack than the CRANKSHAFT position sensor?? Sorry bud. I need to think before I type.

Quick Reply: Engine Suddenly Quits