1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Engine Suddenly Quits

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 03:48 PM
bronze
Record Breaker
Received 439 Likes on 376 Posts

"If it aint broke, don't fix it" is not a good strategy for a 25 year old truck. "Fix it before it breaks" is a better one because if it aint broke it wont be long before it is broke.

Old 02-20-2019, 05:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
"If it aint broke, don't fix it" is not a good strategy for a 25 year old truck. "Fix it before it breaks" is a better one because if it aint broke it wont be long before it is broke.
I am not in the habit of rebuilding engines/transmissions/differentials unless there is a reason to do so. High mileage might be considered a reason.... but, if there isn't currently a problem, I am not going to fix it.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:17 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

the crank sensor on a 96 or older isn't near as bad of a PITA as a crank sensor on a 97-newer one would be. because of the change in body, 97+ had part of the engine under the cowl....
The easiest one to have to change, would be a van, pull that doghouse off and it's right there staring you in the face. I used to work on those a good bit when vans were popular. I wish that Dodge hadn't of killed them off after 03.

I had an 87 (carbureted) Dodge van. I miss that thing. I have been thinking of getting another one next time I need a vehicle. I would NOT want a FWD minivan though....

Old 02-20-2019, 06:24 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bronze
especially on tuneup related parts, belts, hoses, brakes and suspension. Id rather change brakes that are "getting close" than after they do the grind. same with front end parts.... they have ANY play and they are in the trash. Im about to redo the front end on my 92 just because it's 27 years old and has 220K on it, not to mention its starting to sound "rattley". Better now than after Im in a wreck because I didn't....
I agree on the engine, trans, rear end though.... don't worry about that stuff til you have to. though fluid changes and band adjustments never hurts on the trans, and by maintaining the truck, the major stuff will last MUCH longer. Maintaining means doing all of the preventive maintenance and tending to anything that just "isn't quite right" before it becomes a bigger issue. NOT "fix it AFTER it breaks" and spend 4x the money you could have spent maintaining the thing.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:13 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I am not in the habit of rebuilding engines/transmissions/differentials unless there is a reason to do so. High mileage might be considered a reason.... but, if there isn't currently a problem, I am not going to fix it.
Well, yes. I wouldn't fix something like that either unless they crapped out. I'm talking things like radiator hoses, vacuum hoses, idler pulleys, oxygen sensors, wheel bearings, relays...stuff like that. Things that are not especially expensive, not difficult to do, have a higher likelihood of failure, and things that could leave you stranded in Yemassee, SC.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:17 PM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by volaredon
especially on tuneup related parts, belts, hoses, brakes and suspension. Id rather change brakes that are "getting close" than after they do the grind. same with front end parts.... they have ANY play and they are in the trash. Im about to redo the front end on my 92 just because it's 27 years old and has 220K on it, not to mention its starting to sound "rattley". Better now than after Im in a wreck because I didn't....
I agree on the engine, trans, rear end though.... don't worry about that stuff til you have to. though fluid changes and band adjustments never hurts on the trans, and by maintaining the truck, the major stuff will last MUCH longer. Maintaining means doing all of the preventive maintenance and tending to anything that just "isn't quite right" before it becomes a bigger issue. NOT "fix it AFTER it breaks" and spend 4x the money you could have spent maintaining the thing.
Agree on all. I do that with batteries too. I get a new one (a high quality one) every five years whether it needs it or not. You can buy lots of batteries for the cost of a tow.

I have never had my tranny bands adjusted (I change the fluid n filter frequently though...about every 30 - 40,000 miles). 173,000 miles on my truck now. Thought about it on rare occasions but never looked into it. How hard can that be? Or is that better left to a pro?

Old 02-20-2019, 09:21 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

I'll add that I'm of the opinion it's better to do a whole system (Bad ball joint? Do all four joints, tie rod ends, spring mounts, sway bar end links and bushings, and control arm bushings if still rubber!) at one time, so you're not doing a ball joint or tie rod or end link every month for the next year or so.

Unless it's an obvious thing that has nothing to do with age (grabbed that LCA with a pull and bent it? Well, replace that one then.)

Also, all lamps at a corner, and both corners at that end.

After all, the OTHER one is the same age ...

RwP

Old 02-21-2019, 11:07 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RalphP
I'll add that I'm of the opinion it's better to do a whole system (Bad ball joint? Do all four joints, tie rod ends, spring mounts, sway bar end links and bushings, and control arm bushings if still rubber!) at one time, so you're not doing a ball joint or tie rod or end link every month for the next year or so.

Unless it's an obvious thing that has nothing to do with age (grabbed that LCA with a pull and bent it? Well, replace that one then.)

Also, all lamps at a corner, and both corners at that end.

After all, the OTHER one is the same age ...

RwP
Agree! The first ball joint that went bad is telling you something about the rest of the front end. Replace it all and be done with it the rest of your life! Good point.

Old 02-22-2019, 09:37 AM
bronze
Record Breaker

Bottom line, when a vehicle turns 25 you need to be thinking prevention as much as reaction.

Quick Reply: Engine Suddenly Quits