1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

To stop...or not to stop.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 08:44 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop

Well it's a good thing you did not get that SSBC kit then!! It uses GM calipers!!
All joking aside, below are my thoughts.....

I believe a 9.25 with disc can be purchased for $200.00 or less.....
From what I understand, it can basically be a bolt in for your truck.....

The stock 8.25 drum brake rear end is probably fine for 99% of the people out there.
Mine, at 65,000 miles was wore out. The sure-grip differential was so weak..... and a new one is $451.99 from rock auto
Had a bad left wheel bearing, and the brake backing plates were rusting out.....
In short, the cost to repair was simply not worth it IMO
In addition, I already had a ford explorer 8.8 rear with disc brakes.....
My truck is a toy for me..... , I put the 8.8 rear in it as a project....

In your case, again, IMO, you fall in the 1% range.
You have stated, plan to keep the truck, plan to tow with the truck. And I suspect in time, will be wanting to add more power.
From talking to you and looking at your post, its obvious that you have the ability and talent to swap rears. Heck, anybody rebuilding a cab like you are....., well the rear end is cake.

Advantages to a 9.25
The 9.25 rear is much stronger then the 8.25.
You could consider a gear change, ie 3.92 for towing. If that is of interest, shop for one with that gear. Seems the 3.55 and 3.92 are the most common....
Much better locking rear ends. The 8.25, at least in my 87 is not rebuildable. I "think" the ones in the 9.25 are.
Upgrading to mopar factory disc brakes.

In the end, I believe the question that you need to consider, is a 9.25 rear end upgrade worth it to you?

Good luck, and as always, I enjoy following your post and bouncing ideas back and forth.
only 65000 miles and you killed the rear end? My 1st Dakota (1990) had a 7-1/4 rear and I overloaded and really used that truck... it did die after I sold that truck to a brother in law, I put an 8-1/4 into it then.
really.. an outer wheel bearing is like $12.... where has the truck been that the backing plates were so bad? again not a deal killer.... I have rebuilt these rear ends for the same or less money than a junkyard one, and sure grips/Trakloc, or other "Posi's" are available for less than you show. I added one to my 96 4wd (it came to me as an "open" (non posi) rear. have had 2, brand new trak lok's on the shelf for a few years now, I get em when the getting is good.... the other one is going into either my 78 Fury or my 80 Volare…..

and for whoever said their 78 Fury was a gas hog.... wonder what engine it had or how well maintained.... mine is a 318-2 barrel, "sport" model/ 2 door.... unknown gear ratio at the moment, kinda doggy but absolutely loves the highway, gets surprisingly great mileage especially on a long highway run..... itll cruise 70MPH all day and not break a sweat/ a cam swap and 4 barrel swap are in the future (have parts here already) Im 2nd owner, has 52k original miles. might do a rear end gear swap in it too...

Old 04-05-2019, 07:21 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes, at 65,000 miles, the posi unit was wore out....
The truck since it was new, has had problems with chatter....
While under warranty, they said fluid needed changed....
While it was true, changing the fluid helped, but doing this every year, while putting a few thousand miles on it in that time?
The factory track lock, posi, limited slip, what ever name you want to call it, is junk. By the FSM it even states, its not to be rebuilt.
$451.00 was the price for a replacement from rockauto, at the time I converted. If you know of a place that sells parts cheaper, you may want to share with others so they can save money.
The truck came out of WV where there are alot of road chemicals used... To top it off, it was mainly driven on bad days and then put in the garage.
Dakota backing plates rusting out is fairly common. Surprised you have not seen it, unless you are in the south.
If I had chose to repair, I would have wanted, carrier, 2 carrier bearings, 2 wheel bearings, 2 axle seals, brake shoes, backing plates, (no longer available new) along with other misc stuff.
IMO I would have had $600.00 to $700.00 in parts.......

Just to reinerate what I have said several times.
An 8.8 swap is not for everyone. 87-90 are all I would consider due to the 5 bolt wheel pattern.
My truck is a toy for me.
I already had the 8.8 out of a explorer from a project that fell through several years ago.

You may not agree, but in the end, IMO, I have a much stronger, better designed, rear end, with parts costing half of what the 8.25 parts would have cost to replace.
In addition, I have disc brakes....

Again, not for everyone, but I like it!!!

Old 04-05-2019, 07:58 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 372 Likes on 343 Posts

That means you had the SureGrip cone style.

The Dana TrakLoc LSD is rebuildable.

The 9.25 SureGrip is also not rebuildable; it's not the size, it's the actual LSD used.

Your 8.8 uses a Ford TrakLoc (the same Dana design that the 8.25 can also use). Those are about the same price as a 8.25 TrakLoc carrier - actually, I can buy the Chrysler 8.25 for about $325, the Ford 8.8 is about $400. But the Ford rebuild kit is under $100 for the clutches (and that's for the carbon fiber kit; the non-Cobra style kits are even less!)

RwP

Old 04-05-2019, 09:41 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Yes, I feel sure it is the cone style, (Junk IMO)

I was looking up the 8.8 and its gone up slightly since I last looked. Its now $249.00 shipped. That is factory ford with carbon fiber clutches. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Racing...frcectupt=true

Edit to add, 87 FSM does call it sure-grip. In short says, with chatter-moan, change fluid, if continues, replace, (not rebuildable)

Old 04-05-2019, 10:09 AM
onemore94dak
Champion
Received 134 Likes on 126 Posts

I have looked at those SSBC discs since I bought my truck. I have it in my mind 4 wheel discs are better. Anyway I never pulled the trigger not because of superior knowledge, pretty much everyone knows more than I it is because that is literally the only set up I have ever seen. It makes me wonder about what the folks who had Dak's before me learned or know.
I talked to John Mercedes at http://www.southeastrt.net/ I found them researching how to put in a rear end from a newer Dodge. Turns out I have to go up to increase the size of my wheels for any of the moves that would work. I have new BFG All Terrains on my 15" wheels, well they are a year old and with how little I drive will last another 10.
If you are not yet committed to wheels and like the idea of rear discs he would be happy to help you figure out what is best for you.
I found him by accident chasing down various search results and name drops in comments. I only know his name because I just looked up the email thread we had. I think its the 02 03 years durango,dakota (which are rear disc) that will direct swap to 96 97 daks.

Old 04-05-2019, 02:16 PM
RalphP
Champion

Yes, I feel sure it is the cone style, (Junk IMO)

I was looking up the 8.8 and its gone up slightly since I last looked. Its now $249.00 shipped. That is factory ford with carbon fiber clutches. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Racing...frcectupt=true

Edit to add, 87 FSM does call it sure-grip. In short says, with chatter-moan, change fluid, if continues, replace, (not rebuildable)
Heh. Price differential is probably because I need the 29 spline IRS version (tapered gears for the spring locks on the Cougar, instead of the flat gears used by the dead axle version.)

Thankfully, I have a spare that can be rebuilt for the Cougar - and a set of 3.31 gears to go into it (or are the 3.55? One of them) so I can get it rebuilt by the local diff guy.

RwP

Old 04-05-2019, 03:48 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker

Ralph, the clutch disc are easy to change. Youtube it.....
BTW the explorer 8.8 is a 31 spline axle.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:57 PM
RalphP
Champion

Ralph, the clutch disc are easy to change. Youtube it.....
BTW the explorer 8.8 is a 31 spline axle.
Aye, they are.

Hence my plan to get my spare rebuilt; don't have to buy the whole Trakloc, just get the one in this spare pumpkin rebuilt.

And change the gears to 3.31/3.55 (whichever I bought; I made the decision, bought them, and put them to the side for when.)

My Cougar is 29 spline; those are a bit pricier than 31 spline. It's also IRS; the last of the TrakLocs from Ford were all beveled, but a lot of the older ones aren't. Once I slipped the half shaft into a non-IRS Trakloc, it ain't comin' out without dynamite or C4 ...

RwP

Old 12-22-2020, 11:29 PM
Robs Rusty Stuff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mopardood, how about some pictures? I remember back in the late 70's - early 80's my Grandpa always used keep my Grandma in a used Chrysler 4 door. They ran well, they were easy to work on and he could find them fairly cheep used. I can still picture the last two she had. I am pretty sure the last one she had was close to this one. https://img.favcars.com/chrysler/new...t_1971_1_b.jpg

Quick Reply: To stop...or not to stop.....