1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Getting top nut off shock.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 05:09 AM
yermyjermy
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting top nut off shock.

I've tried 6mm wrench on top bracing against the control arm bolt with a 14 on bottom. 6mm flies off everytime.

Frustrating. What method did y'all use?

Old 03-11-2019, 07:56 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

They actually make a tool just for this ...
Amazon Amazon

Worst case, take an angle grinder against the shaft right at the bottom of the outer nut, right against the frame there.

But before you do that .. soak it in your favorite rust buster (I like PBlaster or Kroil myself; but there's others out there) and get that rust loosened up.

RwP

Old 03-11-2019, 02:21 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

I used a torch on mine. Burned it out.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:46 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Soak that in PB blaster for a few days an try again.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:38 AM
yermyjermy
Amateur

Originally Posted by RalphP
They actually make a tool just for this ... https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-20400-U.../dp/B000CO88C6

Worst case, take an angle grinder against the shaft right at the bottom of the outer nut, right against the frame there.

But before you do that .. soak it in your favorite rust buster (I like PBlaster or Kroil myself; but there's others out there) and get that rust loosened up.

RwP

Well I'll be dang......

Old 03-12-2019, 10:39 AM
Drys

I took an angle grinder to mine when I replaced them a few months ago. The whole bolt was somehow stripped yet the shocks were original... I was puzzled.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:17 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by yermyjermy
Well I'll be dang......
Because they actually make a tool for the upper shock mount? I had one of those tools, albeit I doubt it was a Lisle, back in the early 70's when I owned a 1963 Biscayne ...

RwP

Old 03-14-2019, 06:44 PM
1202diesel

Trick is use is to put vice grips on the shaft of the shock, turn the top nut wrench until the vise grips lock themselves in on the mount, then reef on it. I will warn you, to get mine off I damaged the vice grips because I used a pipe wrench to tighten the nut on the vice grips to get them tight enough and it wrecked the threads to adjust my vice grips. I assume your changing the shocks and then in turn wouldn't worry about damaging the shock shaft. When I did this both of the shocks broke on the threaded portion where the nut is. Angle grinders work but this is much easier and less sparks/mess. Just need a good cheater on the wrench. I actually made a rubber boot to go over that top nut so this doesn't happen again, and then loaded it with anti seize on the remaining threads before covering.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 PM
yermyjermy
Amateur

Originally Posted by RalphP
Because they actually make a tool for the upper shock mount? I had one of those tools, albeit I doubt it was a Lisle, back in the early 70's when I owned a 1963 Biscayne ...

RwP
Yes. I was searching up YouTube video and everyone was a mcgiver solution. While I dig the spirit and pride myself on it when I don't have the tools on me, I didn't bother to see if there was a tool specifically made FOR THIS.

It was a bit time consuming because of the room I had to turn the wrench, but got it off.

My question is, is the front supposed to sit lower then the rear? While this did fix a issue, it seems the height was only adjusted a little. It sits about 1 1/2-2" lower than the rear.

Last edited by yermyjermy; 03-14-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:37 AM
rebeltaz83
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by yermyjermy

Yes. I was searching up YouTube video and everyone was a mcgiver solution. While I dig the spirit and pride myself on it when I don't have the tools on me, I didn't bother to see if there was a tool specifically made FOR THIS.

It was a bit time consuming because of the room I had to turn the wrench, but got it off.

My question is, is the front supposed to sit lower then the rear? While this did fix a issue, it seems the height was only adjusted a little. It sits about 1 1/2-2" lower than the rear.
Shocks don't control ride height. As with everything else the springs do wear out, weaken over time. Nobody usually changes them until they break.

Quick Reply: Getting top nut off shock.