1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

truck is having some TC issues....suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 02:44 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default truck is having some TC issues....suggestions?

Ok, first would like to say that the Dakota, despite taking a mountain of work to get it back on the road, performed very well this winter. Put about 3k miles on this winter and other than a few engine operation issues during a snow storm I can't say I was disappointed at all.

Made a few improvements over the winter but weather got pretty nasty after the first of the year. Did manage to get nice HD replacement rear bumper and a new group 65 battery from the scrap yard on the cheap.

At any rate, the reason for this post, my truck has developed an issue and it seems to be getting worse. When it's cold and you put the truck in reverse it behaves normally, but if the truck is warmed up then when you put it in reverse the torque converter binds up and causes the engine to push harder and it will become a problem to control unless you're firm with the brakes. I will often knock the shifter into neutral to resolve the issue because it's not easy to deal with in parking lots. It's almost as if the torque converter clutch is failing...maybe.

Well recently, as weather has improved, I've noticed that it's starting to do this in drive when stopped at traffic lights. The TC fails to allow the engine to idle properly and it will actually drag it down to where it will stall before the engine finally overcomes the problem with higher revs. Unlike the reverse problem which never resolves itself the forward situation will resolve when the engine eventually pushes back but that resolution is only temporary, it will occur again while waiting at the same light.

Anyway, with warmer weather here and a move back to the Passat TDI wagon I won't need to have the truck operational as much so it's not urgent, but it will need to be resolved before winter comes next year and in reality the sooner it's fixed the better because I will use it for hauling yard and construction debris this summer on the weekends.

Interested in hearing what folks have to say about this problem.

Steve

Old 04-08-2019, 04:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I know GM had trouble with TCC solenoids sticking back in the 90's....... replacing the solenoid would solve it. If that DOESN'T take care of the issue, likely time for a new T/C, or possible trans rebuild.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:09 PM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I know GM had trouble with TCC solenoids sticking back in the 90's....... replacing the solenoid would solve it. If that DOESN'T take care of the issue, likely time for a new T/C, or possible trans rebuild.
I will look into the TCC solenoids to see if there's anything wrong there, seems to lock and unlock ok. This is an AAMCO rebuilt unit already, but not sure how long ago that was. Prior owner mentioned it, didn't offer up a receipt or a date of the rebuild.

Steve

Old 04-10-2019, 12:30 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy way to see if its the torque Convertor clutch is snip the (iirc) black and orange wire on the ecm. (Passenger side firewall) if everything is fine after that its something to do with the tcc be it the actual tcc or solenoid. Everything Will shift fine it just won't lock up when it supposed to which means slighlty higher rpms and slightly worse mpg. But its a free fix if neither of those things are a big concern.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:21 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

I dont believe its the TC clutch..... If its anything like a GM, lockup can only occur above a set MPH, (47 I think?) Then even if for some reason it was getting ground to activate the solenoid, the lock up solenoid is only on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear.... Never a lock up in 1st or reverse.
But, if you still think its the converter clutch, I would change the fluid and filter, drain it again, and add fluid again, As you know you get less then half out on a pan drain.... But a couple changes will get most out.......
Also, LubeGard makes a product called (instant shudder fixx) From my understanding it basically works like a limited slip additive to stop clutch shutter.
I have used it in a honda pilot and it took care of the shutter on it, but it was occuring at highway speed when the Lock up would engage and disengage.
You use up to 1 tube (2oz) per 10 qts of fluid. When I purchased it, I thought it was per 2qts. and ordered 12.
If you want to try it, pm me an address and I will give you 2 tubes to try.

Good luck

Old 04-12-2019, 01:05 AM
glenlloyd
Veteran

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
I dont believe its the TC clutch..... If its anything like a GM, lockup can only occur above a set MPH, (47 I think?) Then even if for some reason it was getting ground to activate the solenoid, the lock up solenoid is only on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear.... Never a lock up in 1st or reverse.
But, if you still think its the converter clutch, I would change the fluid and filter, drain it again, and add fluid again, As you know you get less then half out on a pan drain.... But a couple changes will get most out.......
Also, LubeGard makes a product called (instant shudder fixx) From my understanding it basically works like a limited slip additive to stop clutch shutter.
I have used it in a honda pilot and it took care of the shutter on it, but it was occuring at highway speed when the Lock up would engage and disengage.
You use up to 1 tube (2oz) per 10 qts of fluid. When I purchased it, I thought it was per 2qts. and ordered 12.
If you want to try it, pm me an address and I will give you 2 tubes to try.

Good luck
That's very generous of you, I'm confused by the behavior but my first inclination was to do a do a fluid / filter service and then do at least one or two more following, that way a majority of the old fluid got flushed out. I don't know when the trans overhaul was done but it sat for at least two years before I got hold of it. I doubt the PO did any trans service after it was overhauled and it did leak a lot because AAMCO messed up the dipstick tube so that when it's bolted in place the o-ring at the bottom was actually out of the trans case. Once I detached it from the engine and pushed it into the case the thing stopped leaking.

I had thought about having a fluid flush service done but I've not been too keen on that and I think that service is more expensive now than it used to be and I'm not sure what fluid type they would use for mopar transmissions. I think it would be more economical to just do about 3 fluid services and go from there, maybe a fourth if I was really concerned about it.

I'll do the fluid change and see what that does and then if there's a reason to try the Lubegard I'll drop you a PM, again thanks for the offer.

As a side note, it shifts as it should although it goes into OD sooner than I would like (same as my B250 van) and then the lockup happens as it should. I tend to run with OD off in town and only when getting on the road to I engage OD and lockup.

Steve

Old 04-12-2019, 08:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Install a drain plug in your pan as well. Make your life easier.

You still get lockup with O/D turned off.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:22 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glenlloyd
That's very generous of you, I'm confused by the behavior but my first inclination was to do a do a fluid / filter service and then do at least one or two more following, that way a majority of the old fluid got flushed out. I don't know when the trans overhaul was done but it sat for at least two years before I got hold of it. I doubt the PO did any trans service after it was overhauled and it did leak a lot because AAMCO messed up the dipstick tube so that when it's bolted in place the o-ring at the bottom was actually out of the trans case. Once I detached it from the engine and pushed it into the case the thing stopped leaking.

I had thought about having a fluid flush service done but I've not been too keen on that and I think that service is more expensive now than it used to be and I'm not sure what fluid type they would use for mopar transmissions. I think it would be more economical to just do about 3 fluid services and go from there, maybe a fourth if I was really concerned about it.

I'll do the fluid change and see what that does and then if there's a reason to try the Lubegard I'll drop you a PM, again thanks for the offer.

As a side note, it shifts as it should although it goes into OD sooner than I would like (same as my B250 van) and then the lockup happens as it should. I tend to run with OD off in town and only when getting on the road to I engage OD and lockup.

Steve
When does it engage od and lock up? That Should happen around 40 and 45 respectively. Given you're done accelerating at those speeds

Quick Reply: truck is having some TC issues....suggestions?